Note to New Members ×

riser plates for softboot setups

Guest mikema

does anyone know where I can find a decently priced set of riser plates for a softboot setup? I looked at the palmer PLS, but it looks pretty expensive for what looks to be a set of base plates with two plastic "wings" attached.

do you think it would be possible to make a home made set?

Easy to make your own!

Get a cutting board, the plastic white kind, and trace the outline of the binding on the cutting board. You can usually get two risers out of a large cutting board. Then saw it out, a band saw is best but a jig saw would work. Drill appropriate holes. You'll need longer screws. Any good hardware store should have 'em.

Good luck-

Go Low- Dave

I made a set out of UHMW several years ago. I got the material from a plastics shop that carries a billion types of plastic.... It didn't occur to me until much later (when someone told me) that cutting boards are the exact same stuff.

I wanted to put 4x4 bindings on a Nitro Diablo that had 5-hole inserts. Custom homebrewe UHMW binding adaptor riser plates worked great.

I used a table saw to cut them, and drilled a bunch of big holes to lighten them. The drilling was probably a waste of time - with two sets of hardware, long bolts, t-nuts, etc, they were doomed to be heavy. But I rode them for a couple years and was happy.

When you drill that stuff you get confetti instead of chips and dust. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. i have my plates all cut up and ready to go. when i go to the hardware store, what kind of screws will i be looking for? i know that the screws are 6mm in diameter, and obviously longer to accomodate the additional length of the plates, but what thread pitch am i looking for?

You want M6 x 1mm (1 thread per mm) screws.

I get stainless steel ones from http://mmsacc-stainless.com/metric/html/metric_allen.html

Originally posted by mikema

Ok. i have my plates all cut up and ready to go. when i go to the hardware store, what kind of screws will i be looking for? i know that the screws are 6mm in diameter, and obviously longer to accomodate the additional length of the plates, but what thread pitch am i looking for?