Note to New Members ×

Anybody with the 29er bug?

KingCrimson

Rose Canyon was on my commuting route to Miramar years ago...the gates were open by the pond in those days. I had soooo many flats in that canyon and San Clemente canyon...loved riding there though

So you lived near University City then? It really is great, you go north down Genessee and get to Rose, south to San Clemente. The trick in Rose and Clemente is..stay away from the roses! Actually I've never seen any roses worth mentioning in Rose canyon, but the dead grassy crap is what gets ya, those 3 tooth beasts get stuck so well.. You'll like this, they wanted (and may still want to) build a road right through Rose!

How long ago did you live down here?

• 2 weeks later...
I just received a Vassago Banderdash 29er frame. I will build it up in the next few months.

double A,

How goes the build? Any pics? I am fighting the urge to build a light weight, hardtail 29er. :nono:

I would like to have something lighter to do some longer rides (i.e. 30 - 50 miles) and with my 5.5" travel FS weighing in at 32lbs, I'm not man enough.:freak3:

Why not rigid?

Even lighter.... by about a pound :smashfrea

I met a weight weeny mountainbiker on an FS Gary Fisher. He said that I "should ditch the heavy steel frame," (24 pound bike, even with Exiwolfs) and that he loved the weight savings of his CF brake levers. How much weight do those even save?

99 percent chance you have, but have you looked at a Niner? All their frames are roughly 3.5 pounds. Scandium tubing too.

double A,

How goes the build? Any pics? I am fighting the urge to build a light weight, hardtail 29er. :nono:

:

The build is going nowhere at this point in time. I did procure a Fox RL29er fork from my buddy. Also got a good deal on some Avid BB7s to toss on there. Still need to run down a complete drivetrain minus the shifters and some wheels, headset, stem, bars, seatpost, seat, bottom bracket, levers, tires pedals am I missing anything here?? I will post some pics once it is built. There is no rush on it as I have 3 mtn bikes to ride currently. An old school Bontrager Race, Jamis Dragon and a Jamis Dakar. I have a few friends who race for Gary Fisher, they swap parts regularly on their bikes so I am just waiting for their hand me downs.

You smaller guys tick me off, you can build up bikes light!! When you're 6'02" they need to make the frames extra big which means extra tubing which means extra weight, especially in steel frames. 32 lbs would be a beast to pedal for a 50 mile epic. I hardly ever ride my FS around here, most of our trails are fire roads and FS is not necessary. A few weeks ago I did a 78 mile mtn bike ride with some buddies. An all day ride with nearly 10,000 feet of climbing mixed in there. I rode the Jamis hardtail for the ride. Rode from the valley floor here in Redlands up to Big Bear and then out to the desert near Palm Springs, needless to say we had a shuttle waiting for us, Thank god!!

I was supposed to be in CO last weekend, I will send you the complete story via email.

• 2 weeks later...
D.T., cool bike. Should be a few more weeks till my 29er is built up. I will post some pics when finished. What kind of fork is that?? Reba?

Yup, 80mm Reba Race. Once I get the new stem, I'll be stylin'. The 10-deg. rise had me too high and the front tire way too light on steep climbs.

You're going to dig how well the 29'er rides! I'm still smiling about the 20+ miles of single track I did today. I would guess it started out with 5 miles of descending, then 13 miles of climbing, and finished with 2 miles of descending. I was pumping away through the rolling terrain and staying right on the tail of a guy on a 575 who was grinding away.

Yeah, I got bit. Here is my new toy:

resized-100_1207.jpg

Picked it up yesterday afternoon and have ridden ~30 miles of single track on it. I could not imagine a better XC machine! I am a believer, 29'ers are real!

DT, you working on building up a bike quiver to rival your snowboard quiver? I guess fixie and bmx are just around the corner. :)

Ink

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...