Note to New Members ×

KLX 250S or DRZ400?

bobdea

apparently there's also a issue with newer titles that say that said vehicle is for off road use only. if that's the case it's next to impossible to get it done unless you know someone at the registry.

If your MSO says "off road use only" you are screwed. Usually.

My KTM 250 two stroke was no problem registering in MN it is an 03 and I did it last year. That thing makes a TERRIBLE road bike.:D I only use it on the road to connect trail heads. I trailer it to the area, then ride from there.

I know it also depends on the state.

Unless you are willing to have your bike impounded it is best to do it cautiously. The states that are strict, are REALLY strict. You could loose your bike.

If the title/registration says Off Road use here in NM then you will NEVER get it plated for street use. That's what I gathered anyhow. You could take it to another state and do a title "service" and get around it but that's going to be costly with all the extra sales tax you'll pay.

Colorado is very lax and you can convert pretty much anything into a street legal machine. Look at the craigslist in Denver/CO Springs and you'll see all kinds of crazy street legal DIRT bikes to include newer 2-strokes. That's why I bought my KTM from a guy in CO Springs and the title transferred right over for highway use. Also I used the DMV on Kirtland AFB and they are pretty lax to say the least...

My 450 EXC does 70mph at ~5,000 RPM in 6th gear. Granted the new D606's will pound you to death at those speeds but it'll probably do 90-100mph if you're crazy enough. According to my Vapor the fastest I've been is 81mph and that was on a gravel road that ran parallel with I-40. I was trying to see if I could go faster than the semis on the Interstate! ;)

I can't imagine trying to do highway speeds on a 2-stroke 4/5 speed dirt bike. It would definately suck. My buddy has a Yamaha 250 bored over 30 with a 5 speed and he can't keep up on the straights.