Note to New Members ×

Pumping - deck/wheels?

Bullwings

What's so bad about mass production anyway?

Cars? We all like cars. Sure, saying you have a completely handmade and unique one is fun, but being able to pop over to a parts house and say "GIMMEAPISTON" is even more fun.

Guns? Some of us don't like guns, but regardless, they would still be one-off, non standardized POS's.

TD2s? Even though I've only seen a set once, I like them, because they make BOL possible. Have you seen Bomber Industries new CNC machine article? That baby is a tank, and I'm sure it cranks out TD2s and Bishops faster than you can say "Screw mass production!"

Sure, you can machine some bindings on a manual mill, and say "Handmade in the USA" and have a large margin for error, or you can throw some aluminum in a mill, and crank out hundreds of em all the same.

Now obviously all these things are more sophisticated than a piece of urethane, but take a look at that deck you ride, and the trucks under it. All mass produced.

[/preach or rant, whichever way you want it to go]

As long as a deck is decently stiff, it should be fine for pumping. Turner's GS boards are pretty stiff based on a hand-flex test, but I've never ridden any of them.. Truck setup is generally more important, followed by color. Red is always faster than blue, but blue can be almost as fast with the application of racing stripes or flames.

I don't see why Turner would spontaneously stop producing such an oldschool logo, so there's no reason to doubt that you could buy one.

Turner GS/Hybrid XL , ok for pumping?

Anyone know if the original Turner logo grip tape is still available?

I left an email on the website, no reply as of yet.

Bryan

Bryan, perfectly good pumping deck, if not the most comfortable size and shape wise these days. Set it up for racing and it will be perfect for pumping. Wedge or set the front truck 10-15 degrees, rear de-wedged or set at 5-8 degrees. I say "set" because some trucks, like PVD's and GOG's can be adjusted independent of the baseplate.

Turner doesn't produce anything anymore - at least not the real deal because he passed away. I haven't been able to get a response out of the Longskate store on anything in years, but you might find where to get some pre-cut on the ISSA forum:

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=39

or the Brit Turner website:

http://www.turnersummerski.com/news.html (info<at>turnersummerski.com)

You could always do what I just did for an old Alva tape job - trace it off an existing logo, transfer it to the back of the tape (reversed of course), and then cut it out with a razor knife.

Martin D. may know of a source as well - martindrayton<at>msn.com http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=38

Good luck!

-Rick

Thanks Rick, I knew one of the skateboard/ BOL members would come through with the goods. THANKS!!

Frankly. I am riding the edge of a decision. It shouldn't be that tough, but it is.

50, broken leg, recovering slowly. Can't afford another serious injury for a couple years.

My skateboards? Sell them to help pay the bills, ride them into recovery.

This Hybrid was an old ski friends I met over the weekend after 20 years.

(He worked at a local ski shope and I bought the first snowboard they ever sold)

PS. Still have a couple of the re-issues that Bob made before he passed.

Sorting it out. Love the idea of riding back into health. Probably not a good gamble. Thanks, Bryan

this is great idea just do things like

1)bike paths

2)light commuting

3)carving

4)pumping

5)light downhill

all things that won't put you at risk but will work you legs. Stay out of the park and no skating at speeds you would be comfortable on snow

Thanks Rick, I knew one of the skateboard/ BOL members would come through with the goods. THANKS!!

Frankly. I am riding the edge of a decision. It shouldn't be that tough, but it is.

50, broken leg, recovering slowly. Can't afford another serious injury for a couple years.

My skateboards? Sell them to help pay the bills, ride them into recovery.

This Hybrid was an old ski friends I met over the weekend after 20 years.

(He worked at a local ski shope and I bought the first snowboard they ever sold)

PS. Still have a couple of the re-issues that Bob made before he passed.

Sorting it out. Love the idea of riding back into health. Probably not a good gamble. Thanks, Bryan

I always go with the "life is short" theory - if you CAN do it then DO IT! My .02 anyway. I'd hold on to those Bob-made Turners if I were you...BUT...let me know if you want to sell one of the re-issues...how's that for being helpful?!?! Geckos advice is perfect...add full safety gear of course if you really want to be careful. Ride on!

Hey Gecko, How did you set up your Pulse 40 (i'm assuming you have one since I think i saw you on pavedwave talking about getting wheel bite on one)?

I'm just currious, I already bought all my stuff, now i'm just waiting for my board to come in.

I got some 78a and 81a Hot Spot wheels, Bennett 6.0 for front, and Seismic 30 degree 155mm with red or green springs for back (i'm 145 lbs.), and a bunch of different risers/wedges.

I'm hoping I can pump on this deck since I just don't have the skill or technique to learn on my flex 4 vanguard with RII - 180s and 85mm speedvents.

ehh, by pavedwave, i meant silverfishlongboarding...

but if you don't have a pulse 40, then wrong gecko still... hehe

sorry on the Fish I am Xgecko...Gecko seems like a cool guy and he's almost as old as I am be we are different people....I would love to own a Subsonic.