Note to New Members ×

patagonia

Aisling

I have not made it to Sth America yet, but I have a good mate who has been all through there (lived in Lima for almost a year I think).

In fact, you'd like him. Good looking, single, good professional job, currently living in your (general) part of the planet, etc, etc...

Patagonia is on my hit list. I have to get back from Nepal in November yet.

The photos I've seen from Patagonia are sensational. Green and hilly and brooding and wonderful. This is the trip I'll probably go on : http://www.gapadventures.com/tour/SAMA.

It looks wonderful in the wintertime as well. I watched an episode of Ride Guide a week or so back, where they went boarding in Bariloche, and the resort was gigantic.

Yep, I've done three - through Italy, Peru and Costa Rica. They've all been either Original or Roam trips - pared down in the interests of cost - but I've been well fed and well entertained on all of them. Sometimes the acommodations are - um - interesting, and riding the local bus with chickens and stuff is different, but that all adds to the ambience as far as I'm concerned.:)

They're a wonderful company to deal with, and the thing I love is that they get you somewhere, tell you what you should look at, tell you when you're leaving, and then turn you loose to do your own thing. Which beats the hell out of these overorganised stuffy bus tour trips where the tour guide insists that the whole group has to go here and only here, and for precisely 16 minutes. That stuff drives me nuts.

I'd highly recommend them for Canadians - if you're in the US their sister company is Intrepid, and they codeshare most of the trips.

I have not made it to Sth America yet, but I have a good mate who has been all through there (lived in Lima for almost a year I think).

In fact, you'd like him. Good looking, single, good professional job, currently living in your (general) part of the planet, etc, etc...

Dan are you trying to play matchmaker?? LOL

i wasn't particularly thinking of boarding in Chile but just vacationing... i want somewhere affordable on a student budget and all. though... bringing my board might not be outa the question... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

course i just sprained my damned ankle. meh.

I'd highly recommend them for Canadians - if you're in the US their sister company is Intrepid, and they codeshare most of the trips.

Allee thanks for rec!!! I will look up intrepid :) a friend of mine is moving to costa rica for work this summer, so getting to visit her and having a vaca would rock

Ais, I know how you feel. Every time I play on GAP I have eyes like saucers.

I watched a video of a GAP trek in Nepal last night. Poor buggers sweating in 39C (110F) walking straight up hill with backpacks on for three or four hours, and that was before people started to get sick and puke. I'd better swim an extra couple of lengths in the pool tonight, and rustle up some kick-butt drugs before I go ...