Note to New Members ×

Memorial Day?

KingCrimson

I stayed in a nice condo last weekend. It was $385 total for three nights. Plus they let us check out late so we could shower before leaving town. One bedroom, two bath, queen in master, single over double bunk, plus a futon in LR if you really wanted to cram in the people. It was very comfortable for three of us. I can't complain about $128 as my portion for three nights. Had covered parking and a hot tub. Plus a balcony to tune skis. Walkable to the village (longish walk, but walkable - between Canyons and Village on Lakeview Blvd).

That's like the price of a hotel room in Mammoth Lakes..

Basically, we are planning on driving up Saturday around noon, arriving in Bishop around..8 or so. Spending the night there, then driving up to the mountain the following morning, using our $111.00 voucher for one Adult, one Junior lift ticket, and renting poles :freak3: Staying the night in Bishop once more, and plowing on home on Monday. Then I'm back to school on tuesday, bragging to my science teacher that I got to ride and he didn't, and he'll claim that he got at least 2 waves in before his baby started puking and he had to go home. Then he'll tell me that I'm a stupid pseudoskier who should just give up and perform my boardsports down here. :p

Its looking increasingly likely I'll be there. I'll post when I know for sure. GF wants to go. Unsure if we'll have one or more of her kids or not. Anybody know someone in Mammy who can give a kid a half-day lesson - beginner skier lesson. I may also need to teach him to ride a bike. :confused: Seriously, this kid is 10 and has never learned to ride a bicycle. WTF? I knew the dad was a deadbeat, but that's just wrong.

I assume the bike trails and the bike shuttle thingy will be running by then so it would be fun to be able to do some downhilling with them. There's no way the kid will be able to ride back up, and we'll be on really easy trails. Still working on what the itinerary would look like. I'd also like to get a lap of BC riding in, but that's going to depend on attendees and energy level.

By the way, no one responded to my other post. Who belongs to these boards? I missed them at the Mill by Stump Alley last Sunday.

biglines_84855.jpg

Hey,

The actual bike park doesn't open for another few weeks or so. There still is too much snow in much of the lift serviced areas of the main park. There are plenty of other areas that you guys can ride though.

Lessons are still offered at main lodge. You shouldn't have much of a problem securing one at this point in the season.

Do any of you know any Mammoth locals who teach skiing? I need an instructor for a beginner 10 year-old boy for one or two days this weekend. I'd much rather pay someone $30-40/hr off the books than pay the mountain $85/hr for a "private." The kid is a novice, and will whine too much if I try to teach him while his mom is within sight. He's a great kid and will do well if we aren't around. This is for SKI, not snowboard lessons. Thanks.

Humm..I'll give you lesson advice for free..

Ducktape him up so he can't move a bit and push him down that wide groomer, he'll be fine.

You could always ask around up at Mammoth, I'm sure you'll find some ski bum who would do it. (Because leaving kids with strangers is ALWAYS a good idea)

Saw some guy on a Burton FP or something. Tried to introduce myself, but he didn't know "what the hell" Bomber is.

He was skiddy too. Saw a guy on plates with UPZ's on a popsicle stick too.

Were you there when the Austrians were around? Wanna talk about going Mach 1? They were doing speed exercises on Broadway. Made me REALLY worried about where I was going.

Met two hardbooters today. One was the asian guy who belongs to the board I posted the picture of. The other was named John? and riding a liquid board with older snowpro binders and Raichle boots. Chatted with him on the lift and suggested he get in touch with some of the SoCal folks. He seemed like he wanted some lessons in how to EC.

I was trying to match the guys on Broadway for speed. They were fast. I did a couple runs from the top with no visibility. Monument was cool once you got past the rocks at the top, and Cornice was nice early when it had 6-7 inches of freshies on it - even if you couldn't see where you were going - skiing by braille can be fun. I can't believe its still snowing here. Tomorrow might be good up top if you can see. I'll be driving home and not riding tomorrow. Have fun.