Note to New Members ×

Presentation of myself and some questions...

Hello everyone,

After reading lots on this website, I finally decided to join the forum and pretty excited with that. Let me introduce myself: My name is Jean-Francois, lets keep it simple and use Jeff instead lol... I begin carving, it was in 1990 in Quebec with my first board, a Burton PJ7 "remember the classic asymmetric green/grey one" with the grey/pink MGX and a Couloir one piece suit in turquoise :rolleyes:... Always loved carving, controlling my turns to the extreme, the speed, how its direct drive with HB. As a carver, I always felt alone a bit as all my friends were riding softies, plus its kind of boring to wait after them all the time... But with the technology of today, I just found that forum and finally will be able to share and discuss stuff with people sharing the same passion as me. Its funny how its so not so popular riding on HB, I never thought a forum will exist, very happy with my found and all the precious info available of course. Hi to everyone!

So yeah, I just moved in Vancouver from Quebec city and have some question/opinion that I would like to discuss with you guys.

First my equipment: I have a Burton Factory prime 178 with Burton Physics and Fire boot. Pretty stiff set up. Also have a 155 Goode carbon fiber board. Lets not forget that in Quebec city, you ride on really really hard packed snow or ice, its minus very cold plus the ski center passes the BR twice per day, so velvet runs are not that rare to find, perfect for a setup like mine... BUT, here its another world, completely... Well I didn't try any mountain in BC but Tried my set-up in Jasper and it was a disaster! Too much people for GS carving, crud terrain, soft snow etc... I realize real fast that I would have to change my set-up...

Sooooooo my options are:

Staying with HB set-up like I always did, rode like not much than 10 times in soft boot... Combined with a Prior 4WD for more overall riding. But I'm anxious about something... Is having a HB set-up here in BC and enjoyable only for the first 2/3 hours of the day and then its over? Because the snow is so smooth, the weather is so much nicer,seems to creates crud very fast... Do you also guys thinks that the prior 4WD will allow me to ride on crud and having fun in over all condition here?

Swapping to SB set-up, I'm thinking about that... With ether a Prior ATV, Donek Razor or Volkl Spline. Let's say something, I like to carve not to shred... I never tried to carve with soft boot too and don't know what to expect about that? Lets say too that I will prefer to enjoy longer day and being able to ride and whatever condition than enjoying 2 hours of pure fun on HB and then just wanting to go home after...

See my kind of hesitation? I know nobody else can make the choice for me but if I can have some advice from guys who are riding here and could share their thinking about my questioning, please feel free to express yourself!

Cheers, Jeff

JF,

You should have no problems transferring your carving technique onto an alpine carving board like a Donek Axxess, Prior ATV or 4WD or F2 El Diablo.

Plenty of us who ride the North Shore mountains (Cypress, Grouse, & Seymour) and Whistler/Blackcomb use these types of boards and our hardboots for all of our riding.

Follow Dave* in the trees for a powder poaching session, Boris through the groom, me through moguls and steep couloirs on our freecarving set-ups and we'll be happy to show you what the gear can do.

Welcome to the BC carving tribe dude...

ciao,

George

Thanks George for your reply, I appreciate that. I think I can change my technique for a more alpine orientated style... I was mostly thinking about the Prior 4WD or the Donek Axxess for my next purchase. But still, can I really ride all day on HB set-up with those boards even when its a bit bumpy?

Speaking about those ski resorts (Cypress, Grouse, & Seymour), is there one better for the style of snowboard we practice?

I'll keep the invitation in my pocket for sure, I'm gonna contact you guys next season for sure for a ride; that would be awesome!

Cheers, Jeff

Absolutely it's possible to use only one alpine set-up for multiple alpine boards- you just have to adjust your technique.

I only got a dedicated hardshell alpine snowboarding boot this year- for the past 23 years I have been carving on supportive but comparatively soft alpine touring ski boots like the Raichle 121, Nordica TR12, or even koflach Vallugas (ie think Damian Sanders - neon yellow and pink and all).

The Raichle SB and deeluxe series certainly make it easier to lay it out on hero cord and plow deep trenches- as many of our BC alpine tribe can truthfully attest.

Some of us have even been taken to task by skiers "for leaving those deadly deep ruts in the snow and wrecking the run" (cough* Dave* & Boris*cough).

Obviously, we take that as a backhanded compliment....

I still use my softer Raichle hardshell boots on days when I want to tour the whole mountain - trees, moguls, powder and steeps.

As for your question on which of the local hills is the best for our type of riding, I would say that the consensus defintely says that Cypress Mountain rules.

We have 6-8 carvers that call Grouse their home hill (including me), and 3 or 4guys that can be found on Seymour, but the majority of the 18-20 carvers that I know in the Lower Mainland would probably agree that Cypress is the most suitable.

I have a season's pass at Grouse primarily for family reasons (my wife and 8 year old daughter don't ski as aggressively as me, and the family discount is too good to pass up), but if I could afford it, I would have a Cypress pass as well and be ripping it up with my carving bros likw Roy, Dave*, Boris, Ruwi, Pierre, Kevin, and Rod tomorrow.

Cypress and Seynour also have amazing backcountry snowboarding terrain, which I have ridden and explored over the past 20 years . Now that the local chairlifts have closed for the season, it's the type of riding that I will do for the next 2 MONTHS, while the snowpack stay phat and carvable.

You're welcome to come with me on a tour, if you're interested. I have spare avalanche equipment and have done most of the routes in the area.

George

Ola Jeff, Welcome to the left coast.

I have to agree with pretty much everything that George has to say.

One key thing that pops up in my eyes for west coast riding is your binding boot set up ,, "stiff" IMHO is not the way to go for the mixed condtions you will hit out here ( keep the flamethrowers down boys ) a set of raceplates, snow pros, F2s, or my last choice TD2s yellow with susp kit underneath is the way to go , that little bit of flex makes the boonie bashing/powder riding go just that little bit easier.

Now it sounds like you have the carving end of the spectrum covered pretty well with a bigger FP and a Goode SL so now the recomendations for our coastal conditons in order of priority to fill in the holes in thine quiver .

My first suggestion is a 171 ATV adjusted in stiffness to your weight n riding style, I have a literal armada of decks to choose from and this got approx 50% of my riding days this season. This will cover all conditons quite well from powder to slush to hardpack and everything in between.

My second suggestion is the good old 4x4 ( I favor the 179 ) not quite as versatile as the ATV for off piste but it does amaze the jibbers as to where I can take it, prob to close to your FP however to make it my 1st pick for you. I spent approx 15% of my days on one of my two 179s.

My third suggestion is a stiff FR or BX style for the powder days and a bit of the old fat deck carving with plates on the packed powder or slush days.( we are getting into the luxury quiver now),

My fourth suggestion is one of two that I dont own but recently demoed both , either a 178 Prior spearhead or the Dupraz 6.0 ++ , these could possibly be in my own humble opinion the ultimate coastal tree weapons. The Dupraz for strict powder/tree performance, the spearhead for a bit more all mtn versatility. ( am leaning to the Spearhead for myself as I can get it built with the special Dave* flex,, think big boned )

Out here you will be getting a lot more powder and or "wet cement powder" days than out east so gear up accordingly to fill in the blanks in your quiver.

Also dont write the season off yet , the three local hills are closed but Blackcomb is open to June 08 2008 this year and winter is in full effect up there, it was around minus 12 C this fine morning, I am planning on hitting it up at least 1-2 days a week till season end, give a heads up if you want to come.

Dave*

Hey welcome!

Stick to your h/boots! We all pretty much ride all conditions on plates. 4WD or ATV are both excellent allround choices for local conditions. ATV is more powder friendly. However, I prefer having a dedicated pow board, which I still ride with plates. We probably can hook you up with a cheap hard-bootable pow board...

Your Gode 155 should be a good all-mountain ride, too. If I remember correctly, it's over 20cm wide, not too stiff and has kicked-up tail?

Boris

George: koflach Vallugas (ie think Damian Sanders - neon yellow and pink and all) Ooooh yeah it rings a bell :D. I understand what you mean by your boot suggestion, I think I would prefer like you suggested to have a softer shell and more flexibility for my next set-up once I'll have enough money... Or I can maybe modify my Fire with this spring set-up BTS I've seen on the almanac and saving money? Also thanks for responding at my question for the "best hill". My girlfriend can have free tickets via her job to Grouse. So it will not be because of family reasons but money advantage! Although I'll try to go at Cypress the more possible to meet the other guys there in the same time!

Dave: Nice to meet you as well!!! Thanks for your interest, taking the time for your response and your welcoming on the West coast! If I understand your point for the bindings, its better to have a non-clip in and softer set-up? From what I understand you seems to be the "powder guy" ? I might change idea later and you will probably prove me in the future but for now I'm not that attracted by riding in powder as ridiculous it can seems. Its just that its so rare compare with BC to have access to powder in QC, I kind of never developed the interest of it... I've been used to ride on hard/pack snow at minus very cold... Regarding your first suggestion, ATV 171, I think you might be right. The big plus for me is its still a versatile board that will allow me to ride soft binding if I prefer to keep the FP for when the condition will allow it... For your second sug: I might still thinking to sell it the FP doh, not sure if its worth it but guess I'll see later anyway... Could make my starting money for the 4WD like you suggest. Your third and fourth, as you probably better know now, I don't have enough interest for now to think about a powder board, but mostly not the budget to be honest :ices_ange.

Boris: Well thank you for writhing and and welcoming too!! I just read your post about the weather condition at Cypress... Seems to pass lots of time there, that's cool. ATV or 4WD, yeah I think we all agree that its the kind of board I'll need. I though about the ATV 167 soft and hard set-up or the 4WD 169 hard set-up, I'm 5'11" 155 pounds. What do you think for the most versatile set-up in all condition and low budget? The Goode have a 20.5cm wide, stiff a bit (all carbon fiber board) for the length of the board in my opinion. Yes it got a kicked-up tail and a pretty high-up nose. Can send you a picture if you want and if want to try it, just let me know.

Of course we should definitely hook up and all go the Whistler/Blackcomb before the end of the season (see Dave I learned my lesson :biggthump ) I might want to try it alone first doh, and its nothing personal... I was 14 years old and dreaming on going there, 18 years ago at 6000 Kilometers further on the East cost... I always had my season pass back there except for the last 5 years where I went just a couple of times during the season. Things happen sometimes and you loose the sight of your passion a bit, life style change and bla bla bla... So I'll be rusty, will slow you down you guys, will have to face a mountain with 1700 more meters in elevation, new kind of snow condition, probably new board etc... Its the proximity of this dream, the need to go back on a board that bring the passion back... George, Dave and Boris, after my first try it will be more than pleasure to ride/meet with you guys. I'm not working on Friday, I might go this week, will see how things are going and let you know for sure.

Cheers,

Jeff

All good advice here. I am seconding on softer plate bindings for all around use. I just switched to Nidecker free carve plates and am loving it. I was riding Bomber td1 and 2 and catek step ins and like the Nideckers much better as they smooth out the ride in less than ideal snow conditions. The Nideckers are standard bail. I doubt I will be riding step ins anymore. I also like wider boards because I can ride mellower angles and it is more fun. Everthing I am riding now is wide. Current quiver is Donek 180 Blade, Dupraz D1 and Prior 171 ATV. Can ride all day with hardboots any condition. I am riding the bindings flat on both feet-no lift or cant and my feet are close to the board. I even rode soft boots again this year but have problems with sore feet no matter what I do. I am also using BTS on my boots and it makes for even more suspension and adjustment in the system. don't be afraid to try different bindings on a board to improve the performance of the set up for your needs. Racers ride on rough choppy snow and most are using bail bindings to avoid getting beat to death in the ruts.

Jeff,

You'll quickly develop the taste for pow. You'll have no choice - we get lot's of snow on the local mountains, in the good years. As by-product, you'll have to learn to ride bumps, chop and trees, as that's what follows a pow morning. As funny as it may sound to many other members, majority of our brotherhood still preffers good groom - it lasts longer then pow...

So, my vote for the most versatile (single) setup, for local conditions, goes to ATV. Now, low budget part of equation doesn't go quite well with Prior boards. It's probably a bit easier to find an used 4WD then ATV, but it would still set you back at least 300$. Yet, a quiver always beats a single board. I say, keep your existing boards, big FP will be fun on hero mornings and little Goode for the bumps and to rip SL through crowds on weekend afternoons. You just need to add something still harbootable for soft conditions, and it won't be too hard to do it on tight budget. I strongly recommend the Dynastar 3800, there's a lot written about these on Bomber, do a search. Ruwi, Roy and I all ride those. Roy (CarvingScooby) can help you get one in 163 size. It's like a fatter version of ATV.

As for the Fires, I haven't heard about anyone modifying them to BTS... For starters get rid of Physics and get Race Plates, F2s or Snowpros, that would already be softer then the step-ins. I like the TD2s with suspenssion kit too, but only on the race boards on good snow. Even better, keep the Physiscs on FP and get another used pair of non-step-ins for the other board.

Thanks for offering a ride on Goode, I might take you up on that next season. I know exactelly what it looks like - I had the chance to buy the 165 as my 1st alpine board. It was too expensive, so I ended up with a Hooger. Goode looks beautiful with carbon weave.

On the side note, I have an armada of boards and you are welcome to try them, just like the other local riders, and figure out what you liked the best. It might take a year, though ;)

Boris

snowboardfast:

Yeah, I'm totally happy that I have found this website, pretty good advice and so much good information. I guess you're right for a softer set-up regarding the plate as its seems to be more what people ride now. My problem is: I moved to Vancouver from QC with my car, I had to bring the minimum possible as you can imagine... So unfortunately, when I arrive to my snowboard stuff in "my major clean" and saw the Fire non-clip in soles that I never used, the soft rubber to put under the plate, the non-clip in set-up, I trashed all of them and feel really mad at me right now... So I can't go back to a non-clip in, I'll have to change my plate, boot and I don't have the budget for that actually. They are all in like 9/10 condition, my option would be to sell everything and start again with something more appropriate for here all around but I'll loose so much money if I sell that... So I think I will eventually go with an arsenal of boards like yours; progressively in the future. A good carve board for early morning, a shorter and more free ride orientated board for overall condition and eventually a powder board as it seems that I will have to get use to it. As for the BTS, it seems like I can't install that on my boot but might check if there's a way to install a set-up like that, I have some good idea, its kind of project I like to have as hobby and I have a friend machinist who could built a proper bracket to fix that on the boot. But again, I'll see if I keep them and how everything will go this summer and figure something out...Thank you for your advice and your time!

Have a good evening, Jeff

Boris,

Well I think you might be right for the pow, I will have no choice! One thing sure is I will not complain when I'll fall in pow compare to QC ice!!! So with that frequent pow condition in mind and my actual budget for now, $500 max, I'll go for a used/demo ATV in soft boot sorry... It's just it seems that my plate/boot are not the best match for here on a overall board anyway. Plus I don't have the budget for purchasing a new hard boot set-up for now. So I'll have a soft carver board and the FP for early hero morning like you said. Might sell all I have too and buy a used soft set-up plate/boot and a softer carve board as well. And with that in mind switching this softer plate set-up on the ATV later... I checked for the Dynastar 3800, I might be interested for that option too but still more thinking about the ATV for now just because I can afford one board only and think it can be the good overall board, I might be wrong too...

You're more than welcome for my Goode offer, just let me know next season. I had a good deal on it, that's why I bought it. This board is very light and looks pretty good for sure! Of course if you don't mind, I might ask you for trying one of your board as well, thanks for the offer and really appreciate that!

Thank for all your advice and sharing your thinking about what you think it would be the best for me, it helped me a lot for sure.

Cheers, Jeff