Note to New Members ×

Eastern Michigan Carving

Gtanner

Hi All,

Well I've just accepted a job in Sarnia Ontario, Canada(just on the boarder to Port Huron, MI) which is one hour north of Detroit. I have been racing (PSL, PGS, SBX) for years and while I know that I will not be able to compete as much next season (although I may run up to Blue and drop into a Nor-Am or OSA race), I'd like to get an idea as to whether or not there are any decent hills in Michigan where I can go and get my speed/carving fix. Anyone out there that knows of some good spots that I can run to for the day?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Gordon

There aren't any, the most verticle you'll find in michigan close to you is roughly 250 feet. There is Mt.Brighton and Alpine Valley, they both suck bigtime. If you want something worth riding you're going to have to go north. Theres lots of stuff that you still might not findworth your time there. Crystal Mountain, Schuss and Shanty Creek, Nubs Nob, Boyne Mountain, Boyne Highlands. Over on the west side of the state there is another crap pile called Swiss Valley, but Timber Ridge is pretty good. Other than all of those, which i don't suggest going to anyway, there is some good stuff in the U.P. , but if you're lookin for something with over a thousand vert, stay in Canada cause you won't find it here. I've always thought it was worth the drive to go to Searchmont and Mt.Tremblant, and that's a long long ways for me, so if you know either of those places you should be able to figure out what we are lacking here in michigan. If i left out any other descent michigan hills, i'm sure another michigander will fill them in for me, other than that, post on this forum about the time you decide to try one out and i'll see if i can't join ya.

Knoch

Guest Randy S.

"Eastern Michigan Carving" is an oxymoron. Save your shekels and catch a cheap flight out of Detroit Metro for Salt Lake. You can leave really early and be on the hill in Park City just after lunch.

Oh, but I did read in a magazine yesterday that Michigan has more ski resorts than any other state in the country. Stack them all on top of one another and you might actually have something that takes more than 20 seconds to get down.

you'd probably actually save money doing that, the places you can board here charge an arm and a leg for everything. you might as well find a really nice resturaunt there too, that is if you planned on eating resort food at a place in michigan, it would cost about the same.

Check with me next fall and I can send you a link for the above from the Michigan Ski Assoc. 2003/2004 cost was $150 which gets you a one day lift ticket from about 23 different areas. The card is good once per area but is not valid during the Christmas holiday. Includes the areas around SE Michigan, and the rest of the state as well (both Boyne's and Nub's). You can also get on a mailing list from MichiganSkier.com

Also inculded on the card is a basic tune and wax for a board or set of skis - for an additional $10 I was able to upgrade the tune to include a stone grind.

My local hill is Pine Knob - exit#89 off of I-75.

Doesn't everywhere charge an arm or two for food? In Banff for a two day-one night trip with friends, some of them spent over $150 just on food, while I spend $10 for 4L of pop, 1kg of chips, a sausage and buns. You really, really have to bring your own food...

I dunno, the U.P. isn't that bad other than the fact that you WILL be the only carver out there. Up at Marquette Mtn., the grooming is excellent (by midwest standards), and we get treated to 2-3 powder days this year. Also, in the 1st half of the season, we got fersh snow almost daily. It's bearable out here.:cool:

Thanks guys, I just wanted to get a feel for how much riding I was going to be able to get in. I'll drop another post when I get in town and maybe a couple of us could hook up for a weekend of trenchin up in North Mich.

Take care,

Gordon

Guest Ghostrider

Last year, we put together a little Great Lakes Expression Session kind of deal...more just a michigan rider gathering, but maybe this next year we do it again. But there are a respectable amount of carvers around here. Especially over here in Kalamazoo. Always looking to ride with more and the numbers seem to be rising over here.