Note to New Members ×

Crested Butte April 5/6

RDY_2_Carve

NewCarver? TPalka? What are the conditions like up there? Any favorite carving runs, etc?

I went to Angel Fire yesterday and it was a slush fest. Super icy in the morning too! Coverage was getting quite thin and some runs were already showing grass/rocks. It was expected since it was their last day but I didn't think it would be gone as fast as it went...

So would it be worth it to drive up to CB to ride this Sat and Sun? It looks like it's a little over six hours!

Let me know what you think. As of now we are planning on going...

Also would like some recommendations on hotels as we'll need one for Saturday night. Something on the cheaper side is always nice, but I'd like to have WiFi if possible. Also be able to tolerate three rowdy guys! ;)

Lastly any reommendations on places to eat dinner Saturday night.

TIA

Hey John, would love to join you but we're in Aspen until the 6th -- so no can do this weekend. If you go a week later, then I'd be able to. I rode at Monarch this past weekend, and it was a bit of melt/freeze (generally good for carving though) and a few inches of fresh on top. I think it'd be worth going up there -- newcarver will know the runs better, but I can look at the map and see where we rode with Bobby Buggs -- he's been there more, and might have better recommendations for trails.

tom.

Just went today. POWDER DAY! They have had 20" in the last 3 days. Conditions were great. As far as carving runs go: Buckly off the west wall lift is pretty mellow, groomed and very wide. Not very long but you can probably get in a dozen or so turns on it. There are a lot of fun mellow groomed blues over at the Gold Link lift too. If you want steep and groomed, go to International and Championship. Ruby Chief and Paradise bowl are fun too. The have a very deep base right now and it stays cold there. Hasn't really hit "spring conditions" yet. Don't know about lodging there but at Gunnison you can get a cheap room. They also have a 1/2 price ticket deal if you bring a pass from any other mountain. Looks like another storm system is on the way Thu. so will probably be good this weekend. I might be able to go on Sat, but that is a big maybe right now. I do have 1 more day to use though and a new board to try out:biggthump

I have three free lifts at CB from my Angel Fire pass so no biggie on that. I'll look up lodging in Gunnison, if not I guess we'll head back to Salida. Speaking of which how far is CB from Salida exactly?

As far as runs I'd be looking for steep AND wide. Normally I don't have many issues finding the primo carving runs. ;)

Well I'll be there with two softbooters in tow. If you want to meet up that would be great. It sounds like the conditions are still good so I'll bring the Coiler.

JPW

It's about 1.5-2 hours drive from Salida. That is if Monarch pass is clear. I'll let you know if I can make it. Going to Telluride tomorrow and went to Monarch on Fri so don't know if I can swing it. Son is out of school on spring break, so I've been out with him spending time riding. I'll have to get back to work sometime this week. If I can get enough done later in the week it might work out:confused:

I just mapblasted it and it came up with 1 hour 42 min. You have to drive over Monarch mtn. Pretty steep, twisty road. Gunnison is the 1/2 way point for me to get to Monarch which is 1 mile past the summit. Takes me exactly 2 hours to get there from Montrose. Once you get to Gunnison its another 30 miles to C/B. Hope this helps. Here is the directions and distance.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?wip=2&v=2&style=r&rtp=~&&msnurl=home.aspx?%26redirect%3dfalse&msnculture=en-US#JnJ0cD1wb3MucWRwZ3l2NjUwazkyX1NhbGlkYSUyYytDb2xvcmFkbyUyYytVbml0ZWQrU3RhdGVzX19fXyU3ZXBvcy5xZ2Joczk2Mmoxd2pfQ3Jlc3RlZCtCdXR0ZSUyYytHdW5uaXNvbiUyYytDb2xvcmFkbyUyYytVbml0ZWQrU3RhdGVzX19fXyZydG9wPTAlN2Uw

Yup, I agree with hour and a half + driving estimate. With today's storm I'd imagine it might take longer -- like newcarver said, the drive over Monarch pass is the slowest part.

If you change your mind and go weekend after this let me know -- I'd like to join, if just for a day!

On a separate subject, Aspen had 20" two days ago, and more snow falling today. Good carving yesterday...

http://www.pureboarding.com/index.php?id=gal-aspen

tom.

Just two of us now...my bro-in-law bailed.

I know it's 5.5-6 from my front door to Monarch's parking lot...so Sean and I are leaving around midnight Friday night and we'll be driving all night long. :eek:

Oh well we'll rest up Sat evening and be hitting first chair Sunday, but then we get to drive back Sunday night and get back after midnight.

A lot of work so this will be it for me this season...

Sorry Tom it's just not going to work out for the following weekend, but I have a feeling we'll be making turns together again next season. ;)

NewCarver if you decide to make it out:

Five O Five, Three Six Three, Three Eight Two Four

:biggthump

Sorry RDY. Doesn't look like I can make it this weekend:( They got some more snow out there this week so you should have some good conditions still. Have fun and be careful driving. Lots of wildlife on the hwy between Monarch and Gunnison. Especially once you get off the mountain.

Tom. I might be up for a final session next Sun 13th. I would think that the last day will be quite festive! Could probably do a Wed or Thur at C/B too. I still have 1 day left on my pass. Sun is a def the week days are not. Will see if I can get caught up on my work this weekend.

CR 114 is a county road -- I think only part of it is paved, and it's a bit tortuous -- but it's a pretty drive. I imagine that it'd save you some time -- from Saguache to Poncha Springs is about 30 minutes (IIRC), and from Poncha to Gunnison it's another 50. I'm guessing that 114 would take you about an hour -- so not big savings... www.cotrip.org says that CR114 is open and dry.

tom.

RDY, Glad you had a good time. They do have a lot of good carving runs. I'll be going for the last day of the season. They just got 8" of fresh with more expected towards the end of the week. Should be a great end to the season:biggthump I have to go scrape the storage wax off my board. I was ready to call it quits for the season.