Note to New Members ×

Binding Angles

Speed Demon

I tried to post this in a differnt thread but no one replied so I'll start a new thread...

Im new to this and I was wondering is about a 65* angle normal for someone just starting out, becuase I know some people who say start out with lower angles but then the boots hang off the edge. If it makes any difference to tell you what my board size is and such here it is...

Oxygen Proton SL149

248-195-248 mm

Obviously 149 cm

Ohh and I read the page about setting up my bindings and so as of now at about 65* the boots dont hang off the edge they are even when looking at it from above.

Any input would be excellent, THANKS.

________

Zoloft lawsuit info

Originally posted by Speed Demon

I tried to post this in a differnt thread but no one replied so I'll start a new thread...

Im new to this and I was wondering is about a 65* angle normal for someone just starting out, becuase I know some people who say start out with lower angles but then the boots hang off the edge. Ohh and I read the page about setting up my bindings and so as of now at about 65* the boots dont hang off the edge they are even when looking at it from above.

Any input would be excellent, THANKS.

My 2 cents before there are worms everywhere.

You can try 65 degree angle but you may find just starting out you'll be endangering people around you and yourself by not having the control and ease of turning while you are learning. forget about boot overhang. Personally I ride a 19.5 wide board and ride 54° fr6nt and 50° rear with a size 30.0 mondo. I also think if you check the binding angle poll you'll see lower angles are much more the normal with most riders.

Some let their ego drive their binding andgles - best advice this old man can give is check the ego at the door and you'll be a better rider.

Guest thomas_m

Like C5 said, unless you think you'll be turning the board all the way over on the rail from day one, I'd risk a little overhang and run higher angles. I'm a beginner running 53/50 and moving the board around quickly can still be pretty challenging, especially after a few runs when the legs get a little tired.

T.

I'm also a hardboot beginner. I recently spent a few days on a 19.5 wide donek. Sean from snowperformance suggested a 18.5 inch stance width, with angles 55/50. This stance works great for me so far. I have size 27 boots, and had a touch of overhang... but was able to get the board high enough on edge toeside for my knees to be scraping the slush.

Now I'm riding a wider freeride board (24cm) with my hardboots, and I've found I had to lower my angles to 50/45. At least in my beginner experience, if your front toe is not close to the edge of the board, it's very awkward and tiring to balance on the toeside edge. Underhang is evil.

How big are you? 149 sounds pretty short, especially for high speed bombing :D

Speed Demon, I've got the exact same board. I go with 54*Front, 48*Back and 18 7/8" stance.

I have no overhang on the front, but in the back I've got about 0.7 cm overhang on the heel and toe. I've got mondo 25 boots.

I've done fully laid-out eurocarves on my toeside and the slight overhang didn't cause any problems. But the 149 is not conducive for eurocarves anyway. A board with a bigger sidecut radius makes eurocarving easier.

If your just starting out on hardboots, I would also recommend going with shallower angles. Stay in the mid 50's at least until you get comfortable or when you carve low enough to start booting out. If you start booting out, then go to steeper angles or a wider board.

Originally posted by Speed Demon

Jason Im only about 5' tall...

And gdboytyler I'll look into all that along with what everyone else said and hope I'll will fine. Thanks.

What is you weight and boot size? A lot of snowboard salepeople use height as a quick way to judge what a proper board length, but weight is more important in that respect.

I agree that a 149 sounds a little small for you, but I didn't say anything before since I didn't know more about your body dimensions.

However you did mention riding a 145 freeride board - in that case I'm pretty sure the 149 is going to be too small for you... I went up 7cm and found the boards to be a little short - were 10-15 cm is preferable (I'm still new to the sport though) but you are only going up 4 cm...

Damn, but you're a tiny thing (and with quite big feet for height...)! Then again, one of my best friends is 5'10" and he weighs five pounds less than you...I'm three inches taller than him, weigh 170lbs, and consider myself overly thin.

Go for the big board! Bigger = better :P

Rule of thumb: If your board is within 7.5% of your height in either direction, it's all good (for alpine).

For freestyle, if it's around 80% of your height, all good.

Freeride: 85-90% of height.

Take these rules with a ... cup of salt, wouldya?

Speed: hey, whatever works for you :).

For other data points, my girlfriend is 95 lbs, and just spent her first day on hardboots on something I'm guessing is around 154 and quite soft in flex. I'm 145 lbs, and have about 9 days on hardboots now. I've tried a stiff 163, and two 167's, one I'd call "medium" and one I'd call "too soft". Based on that, I'm guessing my all mountain duty board is going to be medium flex and around 170cm. I don't know anything about that proton, but I'd guess if it's stiffness is right for your 125 lbs it's probibly a lot of fun... but once you get used to the hardboots, you might want to beg/borrow your way onto a longer ride for an afternoon, especially if you're after speed.

Speed Demon, according to Oxygen, the recommended weight range for the 149 Proton is 88 to 143 lb. The flex should be just right for you.

I'm 5'7", 130 lb and a strong intermediate rider. The Proton 149 works great for me. The board has a really good edge hold and is easy to turn. The 149 should be good board for you also. You'll be able to go fast without having to worry the length is holding you back.

Since you already have it, ride it for a while before thinking about switching boards. I wish I would have gotten the Proton 149 years ago.

Yah, I have been in soft boots on a freestyle board for quite some time off and on but, I hope the transition will work out as well for me. I was going to set the bindings a little lower then a 65* maybe aroung 55*/50* I dont know yet, but I think I kinda got it now.

Speed Demon, according to Oxygen, the recommended weight range for the 149 Proton is 88 to 143 lb. The flex should be just right for you.

I'm 5'7", 130 lb and a strong intermediate rider. The Proton 149 works great for me. The board has a really good edge hold and is easy to turn. The 149 should be good board for you also. You'll be able to go fast without having to worry the length is holding you back.

Since you already have it, ride it for a while before thinking about switching boards. I wish I would have gotten the Proton 149 years ago.

So I take it you like this board. I hope I learn to like it as well!

________

Papihorny live

Guest AlpentalRider

I would say if you already have it, try it out and see if you like it. The shorter length may suit your riding style.

I myself am 5' 11" and 165 lb and used to borrow my friend's PJ 160 all the time. Then he got me a used PJ 156 for x-mass off ebay and what I found was the board was way too short for my riding style.

With the shorter lengths, I've found you can't be as aggressive because you will start to go beyond the speed and cf envelope which the board was designed for. The 156 was great for slalom turns, but sucked when I tried to EC or even get aggressive with it (the nose would fold on me). I have affectionatly nicknamed my 156 "stumpy" lol.

Next year, you should just get together with guys and try out each other's boards. I wouldn't mind going up with ya, I have boards from 156 - 168 in length.

Guest junecarver

it's probably good to start short, but once you get the hang of it you can go as long you want

i only weigh 155 and ride a custom rossi 183 built for a 180+ pound racer, and just picked up a hot blast 184. depends on how aggresive you like to carve

also, sounds like you figured the angle thing out pretty well with lots of good advice. 55-50 is a good place to start, but definately crank it up as you get over the wobblies...

I think the best advice (found here) is to set the angles right at that sweet spot where you get the right amount of edge pressure on both edges

no hang, but you definitely dont want it inside the edge either, right? Lose effectiveness that way, no?

Originally posted by AlpentalRider

With the shorter lengths, I've found you can't be as aggressive because you will start to go beyond the speed and cf envelope which the board was designed for. The (PJ) 156 was great for slalom turns, but sucked when I tried to EC or even get aggressive with it (the nose would fold on me). I have affectionatly nicknamed my 156 "stumpy" lol.

Before I got a Proton 149, I had a Burton Alp 156. The Alp was soft for an alpine board and I did fold the nose on the Alp and the Alp didn't feel stable at speed. I demo'd a PJ 156 once, and I couldn't tell much difference between the Alp and the PJ. Both were asyms.

I haven't gotten close to folding the nose on the Proton and the Proton feels comfy at speed. The Proton is a big step up from Alps and PJ's.