Note to New Members ×

New Guy, Wants to Carve

KingCrimson

From someone who took aboput 10 days to even learn to stand up - well done, young one. Now you just need some gear, a mentor who knows what he's/she's doing, and you'll really be carving.

I also want to hear about the first time you load the nose and go for the mackerel slap from hell. Cos you're not a real carver until you've done that!!

(Props to Terekhov for the awesome pic ...)

Now that's a 360!

________

LovelyWendie99

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, I have done just that. Took weight off the tail just to gauge how much the tail spring was helping me, accidently loaded the nose REALLY hard, and corkscrewed around, went a little up, not that bad, and landed solidly, and didn't move, didn't slide, didn't bounce, just landed and stopped.

Usually I can bounce and I'm up again in a second, and I look around as if I just watched someone else fall :P

The best fun I have, albeit being disrespectful, is switching sides right next to someone sitting on the ground and being a baby, and throwing snow on them :) I just can't stand them. They are soft, moving roadblocks which get angry when you hit them.

King, not sure of your age but your actions of spraying people on the ground and/or hitting them is not very polite! On your softie setup you can blend in with all the other softie riders but put your self on a carving board and you become instantly recognizable. Not too many hardbooters at Mtn High. Should you happen to injure someone while getting your kicks ski patrol would not have a problem finding you, look for the carver!! Not trying to be a disciplinarian but your actions on a carving board represent the riders on this message board also. Check out the skiers/boarders responsibility code, these items are addressed. Always give way to the downhill skier, don't spray them with snow. Rather than shoot snow over them, rip a big, toe or heel side carve around them and let them ogle in your talent.

Having second thoughts about loaning out the Coil after reading the last few posts!!

King, not sure of your age but your actions of spraying people on the ground and/or hitting them is not very polite! On your softie setup you can blend in with all the other softie riders but put your self on a carving board and you become instantly recognizable. Not too many hardbooters at Mtn High. Should you happen to injure someone while getting your kicks ski patrol would not have a problem finding you, look for the carver!! Not trying to be a disciplinarian but your actions on a carving board represent the riders on this message board also. Check out the skiers/boarders responsibility code, these items are addressed. Always give way to the downhill skier, don't spray them with snow. Rather than shoot snow over them, rip a big, toe or heel side carve around them and let them ogle in your talent.

Having second thoughts about loaning out the Coil after reading the last few posts!!

I'll be sure to stop. I only did it maybe once or twice when I was really getting frustrated, I will be sure to not have a lapse of judgement again.

I do try to carve around them, but I was getting a little silly when I sprayed them. It wasn't entirely intentional, but I'll be more careful.

Hey, if you have any second thoughts about loaning out the board to me, please don't. I don't want you to worry about the safety/security of your board while it's out of your hands.

I have enough problems blending in being 6 foot 1 and 180-190 pounds with long hair and a 6 foot 8 inch brother trying to follow me down the slope.

Thanks for the insight, Volvo.

Hey, if you have any second thoughts about loaning out the board to me, please don't. I don't want you to worry about the safety/security of your board while it's out of your hands.

King, it is not the safety or security it is the liability. I know that if you borrow my board, even though you might have good intentions and mention that ""Hey, it's not my board, I am borrowing it from a buddy" It would open myself up to some liability concerns. Any attorney can subpoena you to give up the info and where to find me via this message board. I know that this sound like a far fetched situation there, but there are many cases in civil court where the person that hit the other has been prosecuted. If you are on my board, I might be thrown into the mix.

Maybe some other time on the board loaner, Sorry!!

Hey, absolutely no problem my friend!

I certainly appreciate your considering loaning the board, and I understand completely.

I really appreciate the other boarding advice you've given me.

I do have a question, one which I could not resolve through reading the almanac, is a 160 too short of a board for me?

160 is too short.go 170 at least.lose the journey t shirt,Steve perry is a sissy.seen them live in Boston,it was awful.sent from the iPhone

Hey, I could wear a Supertramp shirt :P

Of course Perry is a sissy, that's what makes Journey great!

FOREVER YOURS......FAITHFULLY

Yes, it's the cover art from Frontiers.

no singing show tunes on the chairlift either.76 trombones:nono:

No showtunes here, but when a lift stalled for about 15 minutes, I did start singing Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath, but all the words were..Meows.

Yeah, too much sun and too much sitting.

Well, my inability to find a cheaper board in the right size is frustrating.

I'll be sure to stop. I only did it maybe once or twice when I was really getting frustrated, I will be sure to not have a lapse of judgement again.

I do try to carve around them, but I was getting a little silly when I sprayed them. It wasn't entirely intentional, but I'll be more careful.

I have enough problems blending in being 6 foot 1 and 180-190 pounds with long hair and a 6 foot 8 inch brother trying to follow me down the slope.

Thanks for the insight, Volvo.

Theodore,

once you're " up to speed" there's a few things to bear in mind ripping around the hill. Blind corners at speed, not good. Tearing over a knoll that you never know what is on the other side of,not good. Just use common sense and prepare for the worst case scenario, like driving fast in traffic, people do stupid stuff all the time and it happens fast.

ripping a big fast arc around gapers in the middle of the trail is fun but make sure you can get out safely if your edge breaks loose. crashing into people or flying off the trail into the woods is not cool. :nono:

spraying people is rude but sometimes moguls will just explode like a landmine if you check your speed and boom someone is standing there gaping. I usually just yell sorry , it's incidental

riding with tunes , same deal. Use your head.

riding on crowded weekends, all bets are off. Ride safe.Go Fast.

Highsides, cartwheels and broken bones SUCK. been there, done that :D

Yeah, iPods and trails never made a good mix in my mind, never understood why people do that.

Like I said, I think the joy of "HOLY CRAP IM LINKING CARVES AND FLYING DOWN THE HILL" got to my head, in hindsight, what I was doing was incredibly irresponsible. I'm glad my 20/20 hindsight doesn't show a kid with a broken arm.

I do look uphill before switching sides, as I don't know what's coming, the blue square that's my favorite is a great trail for teaching skiiers, and all the more experienced skiiers know it, and bring their kids on it.

Please excuse my foolishness guys, don't want to make an impression of a dickhead here.

Hey guys, spoke to Tim of Powder and Sun today.

He told me to definitely go for the Speed 160 on here(J. Olson's), so I have purchased that board, and I will be acquiring some boots from Tim. He told me that the shorter length is much better suited to the conditions (namely the fleshy, breathing, complaining, piles of carbon in the middle of the slope) and that it is a very forgiving board.

I really appreciate the advice guys, I can't wait to hit the slopes.