Note to New Members ×

red skycap too noisy

Guest tigger

Guest tigger

hello everybody,

after years of laughing about helmest skiers, i decidet not to be a fool anymore and bought myself a helmet(red skycap).

- i always thought i had to ride much to fast if i had a helmet, to proove the need for it.

but now i know better and love my helmet,:D

the problem is that the wind in my helmet is as loud as if i was riding 100kmh, even if i m sitting in the chairlift! conversation is not easy but the problem is that i cant hear the incomming skiers( the reason i bought the helmet after i got hit by a swiss skiinginstructor and his student on my backside):mad:

i tried to close the earflaps with tape, but it doesnt work, and after using a giro helmet i know that helmets can be silent.

perhaps some serius aerodynamic testing is nesseserry ;)

anyone has expieriences?

safety first!

philipp

Guest AlpentalRider

I've been using a Leedom helmet for around 5 years (damn I'm getting old) and don't have any noise problems with it. The only time I get wind noise is when I'm bombing down runs, and without it i'm hearing the same noise anyways lol. Plus it keeps my head nice and toasty weeeeeeeee.

You might want to give them a try.

Guest Pre School Rider

I too was dissappointed with my new Skycap,as my old one never did whistle at all! I guess the Burton R+D staff ride with headphones on and cranked? :cool: Other RED/Burton helmets I've tried didn't have this issue,but I assumed that the Skycap wasn't that much different than it used to be,take nothing for granted... Oh,and as for Leedom,look at their crash ratings... My wife's Leedom is in the round file,where it belongs.I would've sold it,but I have a conscience,and I know what a helmet is supposed to do.Might as well wear a 1930's vintage Football hemet..:rolleyes: Ovo,Giro,Briko have my Vote,as do other models in the Burton lineup.I'll post up here when I figure out how to quiet that Skycap,but I suspect it isn't just the earflaps.

What helmet would anybody recommend at all, thats not noisy that does keep your head warm and is good in the saftey area. Any sugesstions I've been riding since i was 9 off and on (14 now, freeride only) but I have never had a helmet and I feel that since im going into alpine that i should get one...any suggestions. Thanks.

________

Pattaya estate agents

Guest AlpentalRider
Originally posted by Pre School Rider

... Oh,and as for Leedom,look at their crash ratings... My wife's Leedom is in the round file,where it belongs.I would've sold it,but I have a conscience,and I know what a helmet is supposed to do.Might as well wear a 1930's vintage Football hemet..:rolleyes:

I'm not quite sure what your talking about here. Leedom is one of the only helmets which has a SNELL rating, and scored the highest in crash test ratings (check consumer reports and outdoorreview.com to name two).

Guest Pre School Rider

Leedom has strength in the (U.S.) tests,yes,but.. I've seen the plastic used get brittle in cold.The rivet at the rear is directly inline with the brainstem,so if you fall directly backwards,umm,the word 'piledriver' comes to mind.The 'earflap' kit has poor fit,with sharp Velcro tabs that tend to prick ya just behind the ear.That flap does cover below the baseline of the skull,but the shell is close to not being there(though not as blatant about not covering the base of the skull as Boeri's 'shorty'). The 'vents' suck,unfortunately not air...The goggle strap retention is a bad joke,as is the outer shaping in terms of overall goggle compatibility.The inner foam shaping actually makes the helmet want to roll to one side,which in turn makes me nervous about sideways impacts. The crash tests sited are ASTM,which uses slow speed impacts onto an anvil.No mention of tempature.The inner tag 'denotes' a Euro crash rating,yet is in black+white,not the colored tag that the European companies put in their helmets. Having seen splintered bits of Leedom helmet shells after impact in the cold,I'm really not convinced that this is a good winter/outdoor product,but these observations are only my opinion. That dosen't invalidate those test results,just makes me curious about them.

Originally posted by Speed Demon

So the Giro 9.Nine is an affective helmet for keeping the noggin warm, keeping out wind, and to protect my skull? I'll look them up!

yes, and it converts easily if its a warm day, it was my cap all winter

Guest tigger

i tested the giro nine for two weeks, and never had a problem, i forgot i was wearing a helmet quickly, good ventilation removable earflaps nice design and a reasonable price, i would really recomment it, :)

philipp