Note to New Members ×

Cool thing happened at the hill last night.

dingbat

Wednesday nights, a group comes up from one of the local colleges. The kids break up into groups and we take them for "lessons". Naturaly, the kids that can ride just want to do runs and there's no real instructing going on. But last night, a few who were riding with me asked if I would teach them how to carve big "S's" like I was. At first I thought they were giving me a hard time. Turned out they were realy interested and were willing to take some time to work on it. Very cool.:biggthump

Funny that. I was out last Saturday with a bunch of people I sorta know, mostly skiers, and they had an (advanced) lesson booked with a teacher, so I tagged along with my kid. Teacher clocked me as a liftie, and I spent a fair amount of my time doing translations, but hey. Anyway, in the group are two other boarders.

They sorta look at my rig (fluo green Hot Blast slalom board and a pair of Raichles) a bit sideways to start with, do the "is that like a snowboard" thing. Fair enough, I explain what it's about, why I can't be doing with softboots, etc, and one of the boarders starts coming over to my side - "hey, yeah, these bloody softies hurt my feet too, those things are *comfortable*?". Bask in glory of being "different", so probably "mad ****in' skillz"

So, 15 minutes in, and the other boarder (who is, frankly, no slouch, probably faster than me in a straight line) comes up to me, and mutters "where can I get one of those things? What you're doing's ****ing cool". So I spent the rest of the time, inbetween translation, finding flattish spots and teaching two softbooters to do the norm, and trying to remember where the local shops that used to hire hard gear are. Turns out the teacher is also a hardbooter, but has his hands full with a bunch of skiiers, so is happy for me to take the boarders off his hands. Plus, I've just sorted him with a 2 hour carving lesson the next day :) Also, he's up for a good hardcore carve sesh once the holidays are over, so that's a date.

And then off for a session on the blacks with my mate (who's also a ski teacher) and my son (who's 8, and a vastly better skiier than I will ever be) - they went for the crusty crud by the sides, and I went blasting through the moguls.

A good day.

Simon

This kind of thing is happening here too.Several instructors here,ski and board, have been asking me to help them try out a hard setup since that's what I have been doing for folks in these here parts. I have an appointment tommorrow with a bartender who is an advanced softbooter, to set him up and introduce him to carving.

I went to the local bump Saturday and saw 3 alpine snowboarders out. Rode up the lift with 2... intentionally. One was female (nice) and the other actually knew me from this forum!!! (after talking on the chair) He rode with me for a few runs and said I definately needed to get myself a carving set up. He said my technique was good, but I was maxing out my softboot set up and to progress I need to get into some hard boots and get myself a Prior 4wd. Good times were had by all.

In fact, I was there on Wednesday night.

Cool. If you're up this Wed, come find me. I've got a grey helmet, dark blue jacket, and an ugly, banged up grill. I'll be over at the ski lessons sign below the main lift at 6:30 for the school group. If it's groomy, I'll be on my alpine setup. If it's too hard or too fresh, I'll be in soft boots.

I hope you had a chance to get there this weekend. So good.:1luvu: