Note to New Members ×

heel clearence?

caspercarver

i have a question about when setting your bindings for clearance on the heel side. i have a Swoard 168cm. Swoard says no more than 55 degrees on front foot. is that measured at the heel or the upper part of the boot cant mechanism which hangs over quite a bit further. see photo. using a framing square my size 26 deluxxe track 700 boots, i have to set the binding at 63 degrees for the cant mechanism to clear. is this correct? thanks.

post-3662-141842250036_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't worry about lean mechanism hanging over the edge. With 26 boots you should be able to ride sub 50 angles. Try "carpet carving" and see how far you need to go up on the edge to actually touch the lean mechanism to the floor.

Now, funny part is that a local buddy of mine (also Swoard 168 and small boots) had his brake-through day last Sunday when he cranked the angles up to 60/55, with huge underhang!?!

I had the same question a few years ago, here is what Jacques Rilliet had to say.

http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26

What this thread will basically explain is that you don't use a carpenters square to determine what stance angle will eliminate boot out, but rather use a protractor set at 84 degrees. I cut a scrap piece of plywood, using my table saw and mitre gage, to create an 84 degree angle.

Translation, you can have quite a bit of toe and heel over hang, on your rear foot, and you shouldn't experience any boot out.

I have a mondopoint 28.5 boot with the rear boot set to 45 degrees, using a standard toe bail binding with a 23cm wide Swoard, and do not boot out.