Note to New Members ×

Park City on hill update * SPOILER*

neil sunday

Word from the finish line at Park City RTTC Slalom is:

Ben Fairchild III and Masaki in the consolation round

Tyler Jewell and Reiter in Finals

and:

Erica Mueller vs Michelle Gorgone for Finals...

This is not official, as it is snowing and my athlete was a little tired, etc....

Men,

Justin

Tylell

Vic

Girls

Erica,

Michelle

Karolina Pyckhckovic (SP)

Seb-

This website just saved a racer I have at the RTTC.

The finish line announcer said she was in 16th place, so she took off her bib and went to the top to get her stuff.... (instead of waiting for official second run start list)...

she called me, and i told her it looked as if she was in 15th- not 16th spot, thus she was getting a second run.

i told her to go get her bib back, as i watch this live-timing website from pennsylvania. she couldnt believe me, that i had the access to this info.

She's at the start awaiting run two now, instead of heading to the local brew pub!

Thanks for sharing this info with us!

Neil

Glad this saved the day of one racer.

On my side, my parents were able to follow online my best result ever, a 14th place, and tell me my result before I knew about it...

By the way, better results from Quebecers than yesterday with:

Philippe Berube, 1st place from Canadian National team ( Philonroad on BOL )

Liliane Halme, 2nd place from Quebec team

Constance Boisvert, 3rd place from Quebec team

Seb ( J-2 )

Seb-

The finish line announcer said she was in 16th place, so she took off her bib and went to the top to get her stuff.... (instead of waiting for official second run start list)...

she called me, and i told her it looked as if she was in 15th- not 16th spot, thus she was getting a second run.

i told her to go get her bib back, as i watch this live-timing website from pennsylvania. she couldnt believe me, that i had the access to this info.

She's at the start awaiting run two now, instead of heading to the local brew pub!

Neil

Your girl read the board wrong, the announcer only listed the top 3 athletes over the PA......

Sound like you saved your athlete from going home on her own.

Men Phil, Klug, Kay

Women, Gorgone, Boivert, Halme

Story and results (links at bottom of page) for all races but the men's PSL at:

http://www.nessg.com/2008reiter020808.shtml

Not sure what's up with FIS. They don't have the full results for the men. For those interested in the full PSL results, I have contacted the USSA to find out when they will be issued.

OFFICIAL RESULTS

FIS SNOWBOARDING NORAM CUP

Race to the Cup

Park City Mountain Resort

Park City, UT - Feb. 6, 2008

Parallel Slalom

Men

1. Justin Reiter, Steamboat Springs, CO

2. Tyler Jewell, Steamboat Springs, CO

3. Vic Wild, White Salmon, WA

4. Masaki Shiba, Japan

5. Zachary Kay, Mount Shasta, CA

--

Women

1. Erica Mueller, Steamboat Springs, CO

2. Michelle Gorgone, Boston

3. Karol Sztokfisz, Poland

4. Lilian Halme, Canada

5. Jessie Hazen, Denver

Seb-

Neil

Very Cool!

First thing, the race was unusually long. Each run was 1min 30 seconds each. A typical PGS is more 40 seconds range. This has created more opportunity for mistake. Almost everybody were gasping for air at the finish line.

Second, the base was soft due to all the snow they had in Utah ( huge amount ). The race was changed from a PGS to a GS, probably due to difficulty with the soft base. This again has created challenge. Everybody though it would be easy and tried to push hard..on soft snow.

Third, the format has created strange report as only top 25 were allowed for the 2nd run. So 26th to 30th were reported "DNS".

Seb

Congrats Seb-

Yeah, it's amazing... Tara (my athlete) thought she was done, only to have me at my computer yelling at her to go get her bib and proceed to the top!

Neil, I was there and met Tara walking out of the coaches meeting the night before the GS. She's a great young woman.

I was talking with her at the top before her first run. After the first run I went down to check out the board and was counting out the top 15 to see if she made it and just as I turn around I see her there counting and confirming what you had just told her on the phone.

She was very stoked to get a second run, and she made the best of it.

From the lift tower at the third gate you could see the first 17 gates. She rode that top third of the course much better than her first run. I think she was 2 seconds faster on her second run and the course had deteriorated and the light had gotten flatter. She did well.

Was hoping she would stay for the USASA events the next day. Another opportunity to stand in the gate if you know what I mean. It was blue bird and some of the other racers stayed. Michael Trapp just killed his first run in the slalom. It was a thing of beauty.

Say hi to Tara for me. You have a good athlete on your hands! Wish her good luck on the rest of her season.

....these were the largest DNF lists I can ever remember seeing. Bad weather? Tough course? Problems with the event? Seems odd how many racers had trouble. Was anybody there to see?

Oldkey, I was there and here is my take on it.

The weather forecast was the deciding factor on limiting the second run numbers.. Windy, cold, and snow up to 12''

We got less snow but more wind.

The light was flat. The wind was extreme at times and the course got rutty .

The biggest problem was visibility.

The course was awesome something like 42 or 44 gates. The set was very interesting and used the terrain well. The hill itself offered many different looks. In short the GS was a real GS. Phil and crew did a great job.

Like I said visibility was "The Problem". There was one stretch when 5 men in a row blew out of the course. The toughest part of the course was the first steep pitch which started right at the third gate. All riders except one did a fair amount of skidding through this section. The one exception was Musaki Sheba. He railed the whole section only to falter at the pitch change. He got it back together and rode well out of sight only to blow out latter down the course. If you ever wanted a lesson on how to race on the steeps that would be it ,I wish someone had video. I bet he was over a second faster through that section. He is my favorite racer to watch. He projected his mass down the course like no other racer there.

As tough as the top was it was other places that did in many of the field. Many blew out in places that seemed easier. "Visibility!! was the issue"

The wind was extreme at times blowing down the upper part of the course. The blowing snow made it even harder to see.

Course awesome, weather horrendous.

Thanks for the kind word Dave. Tara has been with our program for eight years now. she works hard to get the $$ to get he rbutt ot these races, and trains equally as hard.

She told me she had met a coach from telluride that was really cool- thanks for helping her out. I know it can be intimidating when you are at the big races as a rookie.

I appreciate your help!

I'll send your hello's along to tara today at practice.

Neil