Note to New Members ×

Travel for Business- La Quinta, CA

Chubz

Folks

I may be heading to the above location for business from PA. I see Tahoe is right up the road from LaQuinta. Is there anywhere else you would recommend riding in that vicinity. I would come out ofr a couple days for work and then drop off the radar before heading home on my own coin of course.

Greg

Chubz, La Quinta is not a quite as close to Tahoe as you might be thinking, unless there is another La Quinta I don't know about. Are we talking the La Quinta near Palm Springs??

If so, why not head just two hours up the road and go to Big Bear, they have a few resorts in that area. I ride at one called Snow Summit, it is the largest resort in the area and with the snowfall that we have been receiving conditions are very good.

Not sure of the time of year you are coming out but they (Snow Summit) are usually open into April but the condiitions are very slushy that time of year.

Let us know when you come out this way and there are some other carvers that ride there.

Hey Chubz,

I make the CA buisness / pleasure trip every January...which resort is the one your staying at?

If it is Palm Springs, I would suggest that you fly in to Palm Springs and out of Las Vegas, then make the hump up to Mammoth with a one way rental. But don't ride there unless it's a weekday. Go to June Mountain instead. Great grooming, dedicated glades, very Carver friendly, and $30 in your pocket.

If it's San Fran, North Lake Tahoe has lots to offer, but Kirkwood is my favorite, and is tolorable on the weekends. Sierra at Tahoe isn't bad either, for a two day. If you head to North lake, there are plenty of lodging options in Truckee, Tahoe City, King's Beach, or Crystal Bay. Weekend riding is best at Mt. Rose, Sugar Bowl, Homewood, but Alpine and Squaw and Northstar are busy, conjested and offer loads of cross traffic and gapers.

There are plenty of CA BOL members out there, all I have met are very accomadating. Definately a good time!

Have Fun,

Al

Hey Chubz,

That would be about right, I drove over and up from San Lois Obisbo a few weeks ago. It is a nice drive though :D, and double lane highway most all the way. But given the choice between Big Bear and June, it's worth it. I would try to get through LA before noon Friday.

Al

Red River,

If your up midweek, all options (except Boreal) are yours, Rose is good for a day, but it would be the best time to check the "Premier" resorts too. Northstar, Alpine Meadows, and Squaw are all great when they are empty. If you hit Pow, take your powder board to Sugarbowl.

If you run in to high winds, checkout Homewood, as the other resorts will have lifts on hold.

Have Fun!

Al

While in SO-CAL,

Head up to: 2 1/2 -3 hrs. Big Bear Lake either to Bear Mtn or Snow Summit, it has night skiing also ! With good grooming, so does Snow Valley in Lake Arrowhead along with 92 in. of snow!

Another place w/out the long windy Mtn. roads to consider is 2-2 1/2 hrs.Mtn. High off Interstate 15 on the way to Vegas, it's in back of Mt. Baldy which has the best terrain down there, but mostly off piste and ungroomed.

If you have time? Mammoth Mtn. would be worth the 5 1/2-6 hr. drive for sure they groom up the wazu with big open runs!! and over 3 000 Vert.

Good luck and have fun, most of the boarders down there spend 95% of there time in the parks not on the slopes, but watch out for the skiers that ski like they drive down there, unpredictable?

Later, B