Note to New Members ×

Carving at Snowbird?

newcarver

Are there many runs which are good for carving there? I haven't been there in years and didn't carve then. From what I remember it is mosty very steep terrain and not a ton of groomers. Should I just leave the carving gear at home? Or is there enough good groom to warrent a few hours a day in hbs? What runs would be recommended for carving?

Go to Snowbasin. :biggthump

Stay at the Bird if you must, but a day or two at Snowbasin won't disappoint.

My favorite board for there is the Frontier 185. Long stiff, great powder board, holds a ripping edge on all but the fastest and steepest groomers.

In other words take something all terrain and you should still be able to rip some big carves.

Are there many runs which are good for carving there? I haven't been there in years and didn't carve then. From what I remember it is mosty very steep terrain and not a ton of groomers. Should I just leave the carving gear at home? Or is there enough good groom to warrent a few hours a day in hbs? What runs would be recommended for carving?

To answer your question, yes there are enough groomers at Snowbird to warrant bringing your carving setup.

We'll actually be spending a day at Snowbird during the Wasatch Trenchin Convention this year.

BOL member digger is a Snowbird local, you could hit him up for suggestions on what runs he preffers for carving.

And as Carvedog said, Snowbasin doesn't dissapoint either...

Stuck at Snowbird with free condo and lift tickets. I'll just have to make the best of it while I'm there:D. Will definitely take a versital board with me in addition to my pow/freeride setup. Maybe I can get a day away at another resort like Solitude or someplace.

Sorry to hear you are "stuck" at a world class ski area with condo and lift tix and you will be right there. :mad:

We usually stay down valley and I am a fool for the Basin. But I have had some a few great days (every time I have been there) at the Bird.

The Wasatch locs will hook you up I am sure.

Try to relax and have a good time ok. :rolleyes:

Well... Skully thru me into the mix so I quess I'll respond. We've gotten 16 feet of snow since Dec.1st so not much carve time so far this winter. However my recommendation when coming to Snowbird... Bring one good powder gun and your favorite carving stick. The carving here can be excellent but the grooming is not like Aspen. Usually best a couple days after a storm when they get a chance to knock it down a couple times. Buy your tickets in town before heading up the canyon. You can save about $9/ ticket by getting them at any of the Smiths grocery stores or most of the ski/board shops around town. Call me when you get in and maybe I can cut a few turns with ya. 801-943-2273

Kevin

Digger, thanks for the info. Will probably give you a ring when we get there if all goes well. Will be there from 24th-28th. I've only been there once about 4 yrs ago and was riding with my wife so didn't get to explore tons of the mountain then.

Your timing is perfect....

1/25 is the day we're planning for the WTC at the 'bird. There will be plenty of carving going on that day, and demo's available..... (As long as it doesn't snow, but even if it does, we'll carve the pow...)

newcarver- you should have some great conditions at the bird next week. The National Ski Area Association is holding their winter conference and trade show here next week. We are getting 5 or 6 demo cats in addition to our fleet so i bet there will be extra grooming going on next week.

Kevin- Were you up here on Saturday? I saw someone riding a swallowtail with plates. I think I rode with you a couple times last year. If it stops snowing for a couple days I'll be out on my carving gear. ( Which haven't been many this year) We got 8" yesterday and it is snowing again this morning.

I did ride my carving gear on Monday for the first time this year, but so far i've been riding my incline.

Matt - Glad to here you are still around. I still have a cell # for you from last year. Grab me if you see me around some day, or call me ahead of time. This is my powder set up - just carrying a old guy to the front of the pack. This baby is a rocket in the untracked!!!

Kevin

post-298-141842246002_thumb.jpg

Yup that was you, nice set up. I rode with a guy last Wednesday on a swallowtail and i was doing all i could to keep up with him on softies. It is a must have for this year. I'm still working up here, so i'm out riding almost everday. Still have the same phone #, got yours too. Looks like the next couple days should be good for carving.

Sound like there will be alot going on that weekend! For the demo stuff, will there be anyway that I can have one of my friends set up with stuff? He wants to try carving but I don't have boots and stuff in his size. Luckily my other friend has the same size boot.

Yes, there will be demo gear available from both Hardbooter.com and Bomber for the Wasatch Trenchin' Convention (WTC.)

$20 (To cover insurance, etc.) to ride as many differned setups as you want all day long....

Keep your eye on the hardbooter.com homepage for updates.