Note to New Members ×

Snowboard Gates at Okemo NASTAR

patmoore

This belongs in the Racing section (and is posted there too) but I wanted to make sure all New England riders saw it.

<hr>I had promised to do this last year but broke a couple of ribs and contracted pneumonia ending my season early.

Yesterday and today I set two courses, one with traditional ski gates and one with snowboard-specific panels. Skiers are welcome to run the snowboard course and several of them did. We had a number of boarders (including two hardbooters) run the course. My plan is to set the course this way every Saturday and Sunday for the balance of the season.

I do the pacesetting on skis and then switch to my GS board to "run against myself".

There will be a few occasions (March 1 & 2 for example) when the course will be reserved for private races. Email me if you plan to visit Okemo to doublecheck. Hope some of you can make it this winter - I could use some coaching!

Results count toward NASTAR National rankings and can qualify you for the Nationals in Steamboat.

Pat Moore

NASTAR Pacesetter - Okemo

Who wins?
No contest. :o

My ski handicap is fixed. I earned a handicap of 18.64 in a coat and 16.24 in a speedsuit racing against A J Kitt at the pacesetter trials in December. The best I could do yesterday on my board was 38.04. Not bad for a 61 year old but clearly room for improvement.

I forgot to mention that the course is open from 10-2.

It turns out that Olympic Gold Medalist Shaun White is blazing fast in a course. Check out this article.

• 2 weeks later...

Also posted in the racing section but I wanted to repeat it here.

<hr>

We had a real treat today when US Team racer Erica Mueller ran her Kessler through our NASTAR course. She just signed up for the "dollar run" so I didn't know who she was until after we met in the finish area (I won't tell you how badly she beat me). Her run was a thing to behold on an icy course.

I don't know if she'll be back tomorrow but I'm hoping so. I'll have snowboard gates set up from 10 - 2 on Sunday if any of you New Englanders are in the vicinity.