Note to New Members ×

R17 Addicted

photodad2001

The "B" word is a bit of a swear word in these parts. I have a 2005 R-17 (the black one w/ white lettering) I think it's a great board. I've had some incredible break through days on that thing. I'm sure you'll here "it's not a Coiler, Donek or Prior etc" but I like mine a lot. My $0.02

That being said.... $500.00? mmmm I dunno.

k

Are you planning on running a complete hardboot setup? Or softies?

I would hold out if you can stand it..... I have a hard time doing that also.

You can usually pick up a used Donek/Prior for $300-$400 in the classifieds.

It is worth the wait.

the burtons are fine boards. the 3 hole pattern is a not as good as 4. I have ridden a B for 5 or so seasons and can say it is a good board, just as good as an f2, i have one of those too. some will hate me for saying this but it needed to be said. :flamethro the burtons have to be decent because look how many years later we are still seeing them being resold as people try new gear.

Do the inserts strip out?

havent ridden the r17 but have been beating the crap out of factory primes for the past 10 years and have never ripped an insert! im also 250lbs and ride quite aggressivly compared to most. the burton stuff definately seems to get a bad rap around here but after 20 plus years of riding i can honestly tell ya they do just fine and ya dont need a 2000$ board to carve your arse off:biggthump

I rode an R-17, 165 '04 on a big powder day and had a great time on it. It's softer in the nose to allow turn initiation a bit easier, but once your in the turn the board was stable. I also took out on a bit of groom and was able to really rail the board. I borrowed the board from Paul K, but plan on purchasing one in the near future as a powder, bump, trees board. Loved it!

I've got a pair of Burton Foundation SI boots. They're a lot more responsive and stiffer than your typical softies.

Actually the reason I asked is the boards you are looking at have anywhere from a 19 to 21.5 cm waist. If you have big boots, the 19.0 would require very steep binding angles. If you are running a 30 boot even the 21.5 would be pretty steep.

Actually the reason I asked is the boards you are looking at have anywhere from a 19 to 21.5 cm waist. If you have big boots, the 19.0 would require very steep binding angles. If you are running a 30 boot even the 21.5 would be pretty steep.

I haven't seen any alpine boards wider than 21.5. Do they make them wider?

I rode an R-17, 165 '04 on a big powder day and had a great time on it. It's softer in the nose to allow turn initiation a bit easier, but once your in the turn the board was stable. I also took out on a bit of groom and was able to really rail the board. I borrowed the board from Paul K, but plan on purchasing one in the near future as a powder, bump, trees board. Loved it!

Thanks!

I haven't seen any alpine boards wider than 21.5. Do they make them wider?

People have pretty much answered that one.... And they are right, used alpine boards of the wide variety are few and far between.

Another option could be something like a boardercross board. They are also kind of tough to find, but RIP! There is a Palmer channel in the classifieds right now that fits the bill, I think he wants $250 for one and $350 for the other.

This is just an option. If you are careful and your board doesn't work for you, the resale should be good, break even if you get it used and sell it after taking good care of it. That is the only reason I would be iffy on the R17, other than that, they are supposed to be good boards.

Here: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=18815

I got my R17 (white with Black graphics, for Japanese market, I believe) a couple of seasons ago. I paid $250 brand new in plastic. I am a heavier rider and I find it a little softer than I normally like. On pow or softer groom with a slightly lighter rider it would be good.

Did some people delete posts on this thread? Seems a little confusing.:confused:

D.:biggthump