Note to New Members ×

Nidecker Project 164--OK with HBs?

John Bell

Anyone know anything about this board? I'm wondering if it'd be too soft for HBs.

There're about 30 of these for sale on you-know-where. Thinking about scooping one up for my first-time HB board. Waist is 25.1; I'm 170 lbs. They list it as freestyle, but I think that's wrong, given the dimensions. Nothing on it anywhere on the web, however.

Thanks for any info.

Not trying to stink things up but when you say "my first HB board" I assume you mean hardboot...so why not get something more carve-specific? There are plenty of boards that will carve well and handle variable conditions. You don't have to buy a race-specific board, but most freeride boards aren't gonna be ideal for a hardboot setup.

Don't confuse the Nidecker Project with Project TM. The Project (I think it was the Project FS) was designated as a freestyle/freeride deck. The TM was the BX version (stiffer). I currently ride an '04 Project TM as my all-mtn pow & freeride deck with plates - no problems. Floats the pow and carves well. Ride it with HB because right now I don't have a softie set up. If I did, I would be riding that deck w/softies. Can't comment on how the other would ride, but I do know that the flex is different. As a first-time HB deck, there are better options out there. You may want to look at some all-mtn shapes (ala Coiler AM/Donek Axxess/Prior 4wd or ATV) and could probably pick up something gently used here on the classifieds. Just a thought.

I have mounted td2s on my nidecker megalight62. I weight 200lbs and stand 6'2". I have been carving (or at least leaving some really deep slices in the moutain) with it a lot lately (30/35) and having a great time. I usually only use it when conditions go downhill (like today at WhiteTail in PA). Anyway I realize that it was not designed for this use (abuse) but it hasn't broken or cracked yet. So seems like the stiffer project 164 would be even better.?

Rich S.

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I'm a little slack on my BOL the past few days.

ok, I gotta ask, where????

The Bay. However, the four or five that were for sale are gone now for some reason. But I never saw any bids, so the listings probably just expired. Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180199477302&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

Kirk, thanks for the info on the different models. You're right, this one just said "Project" with no additional designator. I was tempted because it was I think $149 plus $20 shipping, and it sounded like it was a pretty high-end board. I'm a sucker for a good deal!

I forgot to mention that I have TD1s--so I should probably get something narrower than this anyway.

I have mounted td2s on my nidecker megalight62. I weight 200lbs and stand 6'2". I have been carving (or at least leaving some really deep slices in the moutain) with it a lot lately (30/35) and having a great time. I usually only use it when conditions go downhill (like today at WhiteTail in PA). Anyway I realize that it was not designed for this use (abuse) but it hasn't broken or cracked yet. So seems like the stiffer project 164 would be even better.?

Rich S.

That's a sweet board. Yeah, I get the impression they make really solid boards; they make the Swoard boards in their factory.

Yeah, I get the impression they make really solid boards; they make the Swoard boards in their factory.

No question about it John, Nidecker puts out a good product. Been a staple in my family for a number of years. I think the Swoard deal is pretty recent (like within the past year?). Prior to that I believe they were being made at the Virus factory in Germany.