Note to New Members ×

Free computer

C5 Golfer

It's true!

I bought a bike at Walmart several years ago so I could train....and didn't want to point up the money to ship my bike.

On the last day, I went down to the beach and tried to find a kid who needed a bike. THREE kids basically said "no way man, that's stolen".

I was in a rush..so I just left the bike.

UPDATE:

Not much of one .. it is still out there -- no sign on it. I am starting to think I do not have to lock my doors at night and just leave the garage doors open,

Anyway I tried to recycle it curb side this week, The Guy took all my recycle stuff as usual but left the computer with a yellow slip that said it was too tall - otherwise they would have taken it away. 2 feet is the max height and this Tower comes in around 28" high. So I will do this - I need to strip all the electronics out and place in a bag for recycle , cut the steel tower down and then place it in the recycle bin.

So now I at least have a plan. :biggthump

2 feet is the max height and this Tower comes in around 28" high. So I will do this - I need to strip all the electronics out and place in a bag for recycle , cut the steel tower down and then place it in the recycle bin.

Or you could just put it on its side.

Post it on freecycle
+1 on Freecycle. If you have something you don't want/value that someone else could use, Freecycle works. It's like putting it out at the curb, but reaches a larger audience.

Do you have to box it and ship it to someone?? Or do they come and pick it up?

Trying not to burn a couple gallons of gas to recycle an old computer when I can have our local recycler pick it up for free.

Trying not to burn a couple gallons of gas to recycle an old computer when I can have our local recycler pick it up for free.

The thing is with that, is that on Freecycle you'll be giving someone a Computer, whereas through your curbside recycling program, you're giving someone 2# of steel, a bunch of plastic, some ceramics, and a tiny amount of precious metals.

Growing up, my girlfriend's family relied on programs like freecycle to get their home electronics. Their computer was sold to them for like...$150 through a local "lend a hand" kinda place, their fridge was donated by Sals Army I believe, so I believe strongly in donating things as a whole product if it's still useable, or if it's trashed beyond simple repairs then send it to be recycled into something else. While a bicycle is 20# of recyclable steel that could be made into car components or fridge cases, a less fortunate kid is going to enjoy the bicycle a whole lot more than a few Fridge/Washer/Dryer parts.

Just my $0.03

I can't agree more Justin A and others on giving to others when possible and reasonable and effective and so on and so on.

Now the thing is with this computer-- while it does not show it on the outside so my hopeful thief would not have known. But there is no hard drive in this guy and it was my DOS machine before Windows 95 came out. The CD drive requires a caddy and it is a non-RW. I don't think it anything anyone would really use.

Ahhhh.. you gave me a great idea -- I need to paint it black and then put it back curbside for a thief to be interested in it correct?

Absolutley. Or maybe a satin silver, then they'll think its one of them Cortlands....errr...Mac-in-tawsh thangs that all them kids are nuts ovar. I 'dun hear they're 'spensive too.

Do you have to box it and ship it to someone?? Or do they come and pick it up?

There are Freecycle newsgroups/forums in many different areas of the country. You need to subscribe to the closest freecycle and post a message describing what you have. If what you have is at all desireable, you will soon get several e-mails from people that want it. You then contact whoever you choose as the recipient by return email and arrange to have them pick it up. You need to post another message stating that the item is gone so that you don't continue to get queries.

I freecycled a woodstove. My requirement was that whoever was going to get it had to come with a pickup truck and strong people to load it as I was not going to lift it.