Note to New Members ×

Stripped Raichle inserts for Intec heels

Baka Dasai

Checked the bolts on my heels - oh no! - two of them were falling out, and tightening them had no effect - they just spun in place. Turns out that the inserts are stripped - there's no thread there at all.

I have some spare inserts, but the problem is how to get the old inserts out. I've tried using a bolt to push them out from the outside, but they're too firmly wedged.

Any suggestions?

Baka - I have had to deal with this myself and the only way that worked for me was to use a drill bit, maybe 2/3 of the diameter of the bolt. Drill thru the bolt, then use a drift pin and hammer out the remains. You might break a drill bit along the way. Or you could take to a good shop to have this done. You don't want to damage or increase the size of the (molded) hole.

Take one of the remaining (good) T nuts and bolts to your hardware store to match up for size. For the bolt, get the stainless steel with metric insert (hex cap) head. When you re-install you can dab a bit of syn grease on the thread or use a wrap of plumbers tape. If you have time or can't find the parts locally, then contact Michelle at Bomber@Bomber.com

Pat,

The bolts are already out - I just pushed them out from the inside, and they came out easily due to the almost total lack of thread left on the insert.

I'm not sure what a drift-pin is, and a quick bit of googling has only given me a vague idea. Is the idea that you insert the drift pin into the insert from the outside of the boot, and then hammer on it to push the insert into the boot? If so, I tried doing something like this using one of the bolts - I jammed the bolt back into the insert, and then hammered it to try and push the insert out. It didn't work, partly because I was afraid to hammer with much force, and partly because there was no way to hold the boot firmly enough to withstand the hammering.

I bought these boots new, less than a month ago. :mad:

The "inserts" in the bottom of the boots are t-nuts and should come out into the boot from the bottom. You should be able to get new ones at a ski shop and if not send me a message as I may have some I can put in the mail to you. If you take the heel off and put the screw part way into the t-nut you should be able to push (may need a hammer) to get the nut loose and out.

kt

PS. a drift pin is a punch that has no taper and a flat tip.

Originally posted by k_t

The "inserts" in the bottom of the boots are t-nuts and should come out into the boot from the bottom. If you take the heel off and put the screw part way into the t-nut you should be able to push (may need a hammer) to get the nut loose and out.

Yeah, I've done exactly as you suggest, but they won't come out. I can't hammer very hard because it's difficult to hold the boot firmly enough.

If there's no other way to get them out I'm gonna take the boots back to the shop. That'd be interesting - they were pretty clueless there, and had had these boots sitting in the back of the shop for years without really knowing much about them.

I don't think trying to twist the insert is a good idea, they have teeth to grab the boot, so you could end up mangling the sole. Best bet is to push them straight in with a punch or drift that is bigger than the bolt but smaller than the hole in the boot. They come out pretty easily, it's just getting the initial movement that's a bit scary. Hold the boot between your knees and whack it good - watch the jewels!

Its very easy to Buy a 6mm tap at tap out the 5 mm Intec heel bolt to 6mm, then you can use a 6mm bolt with a 5mm allen head like the TD1's Disk to board mounting bolts, I do not remember the correct length but us the same as your 5mm intec bolt.

I rip the 5 mm Intec screws out all the time now that I have gone to the 6mm it rarley happens. you can do them all for the price ot the tap a few Yen worth of screws, and 15 to 20 minutes of your time.

Easy fix!

Thanks for all the help folks. Unfortunately, those T-nuts are really truly stuck.

KT, I have spare T-nuts, thanks for the offer though.

Bordy, a 6 mm bolt is too big to fit through the holes in the heels. I *could* run a 6 mm tap through the holes in the heels themselves. Is that what you do?

Guest Jagger

Baka just drill em out if you work your way up in bit size you wont end up making the hole too big, when the walls on the insert get thin enouugh just twist em out W a screw driver they should colapse on the first twist after drilling just drill till you start to see filings the color of your boot.

Yep Baka,

Just make the heel hole bigger!

You could send fin some E-mail he can talk you though it.

After riping out several times He talked me through it the first time!

Good luck!

They never rip out now!(well almost never)