Note to New Members ×

loaded dervish

Bordy

not neccessarilly the same thing here....If I were running 78mph down a Colorado mountain road like Kevin Rimes then yes CNC reverse kingpin trucks would be a place where your premise is true...but my plan is 25-30mph carving on local hills and parking garages. Indy 215's are much more capable at these speeds than uber trucks

When I say technology changed / improved I'm talking about any reverse kingping truck, not just uber-trucks. Bears, Randals, Gullwing chargers, Force, Holey, (insert your favorite reverse kingping truck here)....... They're all inherently more stable at speed than indy-style trucks.

When I say technology changed / improved I'm talking about any reverse kingping truck, not just uber-trucks. Bears, Randals, Gullwing chargers, Force, Holey, (insert your favorite reverse kingping truck here)....... They're all inherently more stable at speed than indy-style trucks.

not really Reverse kingpin trucks aren't really better just different, dewedge Indys and they feel the very similar. BTW they are all taller than Indy's which in itself makes them less stable and most reverse kingpin trucks turn deeper which is nice if that's what you are looking for; Holleys turn really deep and aren't really stable at speed the same has been said of Paris and Chargers. However Crails and Bear's don't even turn until you doing 30. Mind you I have 3 boards on reverse kingpin trucks, 1 on straight RII 180's, one on a Force R7/C7 combo dropped through and my HC on DH hangers (160mm) with a RII/DH baseplate combo so I do know what they feel like. 215's suit the purpose that I'm looking for and are more nimble for what I want than many reverse kingpin trucks

not really Reverse kingpin trucks aren't really better just different, dewedge Indys and they feel the very similar. BTW they are all taller than Indy's which in itself makes them less stable

I didn't say that reverse kingpin trucks were better, I said they were inherently more stable.

If Indy's are more stable than reverse kingping trucks, and so great for DH and speed, why aren't more pros running them?

However Crails and Bear's don't even turn until you doing 30.

Hmmmm. My Bears turn just fine below 30. How many times have you ridden Bears?

I didn't say that reverse kingpin trucks were better, I said they were inherently more stable.

If Indy's are more stable than reverse kingping trucks, and so great for DH and speed, why aren't more pros running them?

The big reason....Stage 9 base plates SUCK and they are Newschool pattern...most DH boards are Oldschool

Hmmmm. My Bears turn just fine below 30. How many times have you ridden Bears?

which Bears the 52's which are RII clones or the 40's which are more active than the DH's I rode the 40s enough to know that they are less active than Crails and very linear in their turning neither trait was something I liked for a front truck. While I like the 8mm axles (and the 10mm) I wasn't impressed with the casting/facing on the axle area.

regarding bears, the original grizzly (50 deg +/-) turn quite nicely- i've got mine set up with blue stims bottom and i believe a red insert on top.

Other than that, I'll just chime in that I'm starting to prefer the feel of conventionals (specifically bennett fronts) more than reverse kingpin. Paired with a tracker rts or stable seismic, you've got a solid feeling board that turns very nicely.

Indys, especially the older ones or ones set on core baseplates are very well liked for garage & similar use... and allow for a lower board when you have to push.

Gecko and XX, Ya'll are both right. I've got no right to say anything about any of those skateboard-type things. I'm just a dumb-@ss BOL fruit-boot snowboard guy. After all, I ride a Dervish with Bears... What a joke!

All of my skateboard-thingys will be for sale on Fee-bay soon. I'm gonna get me a popsicle-stick (with Indys) and practice my kick-flips.

Sorry for intruding on your forum here. :cool:

Gecko and XX, Ya'll are both right. I've got no right to say anyting about any of those skateboard-type things. I'm just a dumb-@ss BOL fruit-boot snowboard guy. After all, I ride a Dervish with Bears... What a joke!

All of my skateboard-thingys will be for sale on Fee-bay soon. I'm gonna get me a popsicle-stick (with Indys) and practice my kick-flips.

wow :rolleyes: I guess I've made a friend :1luvu:

Gecko and XX, Ya'll are both right. I've got no right to say anyting about any of those skateboard-type things. I'm just a dumb-@ss BOL fruit-boot snowboard guy. After all, I ride a Dervish with Bears... What a joke!

I uh, said that I liked the dervish.. and that I own bears... confusion.

Internet fights are so pointless, but they're always bound to happen when it comes to personal preferences..

I uh, said that I liked the dervish.. and that I own bears... confusion.

Internet fights are so pointless, but they're always bound to happen when it comes to personal preferences..

Sorry xx. I was in kind of a bad mood last night when I posted that, and I shouldn't have included you. Your opinions in this thread have been very informative.

Sorry xx. I was in kind of a bad mood last night when I posted that, and I shouldn't have included you. Your opinions in this thread have been very informative.

While I admit that I am partial to Indy's (25 years of skating them will do that) I guess the bigger issue is that I prefer a progressive feeling truck like Indy's, Bennets, Randal's, Forces, and even Crails to the more linear Bears, Tracker's and Seismic...it's the WAY that they turn. It's a personal thing and something I'm passionate about but it's also what I judge other trucks against. As for Carving trucks my experience is that 25-35mph (depending on your ankles) is the point where all things being equal reverse kingpin trucks are more stable...from what I have read there is another change in stability found at the 50mph mark with trucks like Magun's, Kahalani's, JimZ's and Smokey's, I've never been over 45mph, that I know of anyway nor do I really plan on spending lots of time at those speeds so trucks of that nature don't have much appeal for me. I know that under 40 I prefered my Force clones to Brians Kahalani's especially because they turn better/easier for me.

While I admit that I am partial to Indy's (25 years of skating them will do that) I guess the bigger issue is that I prefer a progressive feeling truck like Indy's, Bennets, Randal's, Forces, and even Crails to the more linear Bears, Tracker's and Seismic...it's the WAY that they turn. It's a personal thing and something I'm passionate about but it's also what I judge other trucks against. As for Carving trucks my experience is that 25-35mph (depending on your ankles) is the point where all things being equal reverse kingpin trucks are more stable...from what I have read there is another change in stability found at the 50mph mark with trucks like Magun's, Kahalani's, JimZ's and Smokey's, I've never been over 45mph, that I know of anyway nor do I really plan on spending lots of time at those speeds so trucks of that nature don't have much appeal for me. I know that under 40 I prefered my Force clones to Brians Kahalani's especially because they turn better/easier for me.

I bow to your vast skateboarding knowledge. You know way more than I or anyone else on BOL will ever know about skateboards. You've been skating longer than all of us, have more skateboards than all of us, and are more passionate about skateboarding than all of us.

Let me know how the new GOG TS prototypes work after you've tried them out. (Or READ about them.....)

Now where is my credit card. I gotta go order me those gold plated Maguns, along with the that custom Carbon-Fiber-Foam-Core-Titanal demonseed. Oh, and the reflex formula 130mm Flywheels too.

Fine I tried to be at least polite and explain my opinions but you'd rather be this way...sorry I tried

Your opinions are fine. I'm probably just jealous that you seem to have an opinion on EVERYTHING mentioned in the "Summer Carving" forum. :o

But when you say "I heard this..." or "I read that..." those are someone else's opinions.

Your opinions are fine. I'm probably just jealous that you seem to have an opinion on EVERYTHING mentioned in the "Summer Carving" forum. :o

But when you say "I heard this..." or "I read that..." those are someone else's opinions.

OK I can understand that...skateboarding has been a big part of my life for 35 years so and talking about it when I'm not skating is rather natural to me. I spent my freetime this weekend lending a strong back and a weak mind to working on our local skatepark (see attached photo) hard work but the pay off is skating it.

How about this...skating precision DH trucks at speeds under 40mph felt to me like riding a 200cm snowboard at a 300' hill...you can do it but it's not very fun (I made the mistake of taking a 2m board to Nashoba Valley once). I tried using a Randal DH as a rear truck on my general purpose longboard this weekend and it felt really sluggish until my speed passed 20mph then it felt very much like a snowboard with a bunch of taper...back to the drawing board for that board ....again next up will either be a set of conventional trucks or maybe a set of *gasp* Tracker Fast Tracks...

post-507-14184224114_thumb.jpg

How about this...skating precision DH trucks at speeds under 40mph felt to me like riding a 200cm snowboard at a 300' hill...you can do it but it's not very fun (I made the mistake of taking a 2m board to Nashoba Valley once).

Maybe a Tanker 192 would work better at Nashoba? :rolleyes:

FYI, when you say something about using Indys for DH, and I come back and say "Maguns for me thanks...." I'm yankin' yer chain....

I don't know if you noticed, but my skate quiver is pretty much built around emulating carving on snow in one form or another. The only exception is a couple pool / park setups that I just happened to get for cheap and on trades. They're building a new park near me also (whish I could volunteer to help....) and I'd like to spend some time there when it's done, so we'll see what happens.

My quiver doesn't contain a DH board, and probably never will. It looks fun, but I don't think I'll ever have the time or the $ to get into it, unless one of my kids decides that hill bombing on a skateboard is cool, then the old fart will be right there with them (but highly unlikely that I'll ever have a set of uber-dh truks...)

certainly better than my Flite 200 did that's for sure

well you pulled me right off the the dock with that jerk :biggthump

I was a skateboarder for 15+ years before I started snowboarding it's always been about skating for me...my carving on snow is similar to my street carving I tend to drive from the back in a surfy style, many of my boards are set up for just that which some people (like XX) don't care for. Speed is a new thing for me and I really didn't think I would like it as much as I do...it has elements of motorcycling for me that are much more reachable (for me) on 4 wheels and no motor. Pick a line and rip though it, I had my first real corner drifts this weekend and it was waaayyy easier than I expected, I was putting a hand down, with slide gloves its easy and is very stable. I will never be a racer but I'm to old to be good anyway and I haven't the balls for much past the mid 40's...I still would love to go to Maryhill for the "Festival of Speed" someday even if I place DFL...

park skating...OK I consider myself old in body if not in mind...make sure you buy yourself a GOOD set of pads before you set foot on board in a park, learn to fall to your knees when you fall...this has become so ingrained over the years that I have to wear them or I will fall on bare knees (something I have done more than once). A helmet is also a wise choice...parks tend to be pinball parlors and I have been hurt nearly as bad getting hit by someone else as I did f---ing up a crail slide in the Manbowl at Skater Island both cases the helmet saved my skull.

ri_new_island_fig8.jpg

hah, its true- I can't ride Gecko's boards.They all do an amazing job of going straight, for me. His carving boards are set up a little tighter than my downhill stuff... that said, I weigh 150 +/- which is deffinetly a consideration.

[to gecko]

By the way, I've got something pressed in the way of a slalom proto blank.. only 20something inches long, but enough to show the concave. I need to get another two sheets pressed on also, but I managed concave in the main length, at the kicktail bend, and through the kicktail.

[/sidetrack]

hah, its true- I can't ride Gecko's boards.They all do an amazing job of going straight, for me. His carving boards are set up a little tighter than my downhill stuff... that said, I weigh 150 +/- which is deffinetly a consideration.

sidetrack) well you are -3/4's of my weight and you still got my Slalom board turning just fine,

juggling boards and trucks, my C39 is getting decommissioned, the 149's are going on the HC with softer bushings... I'm thinking about the Fast Tracks...for the Speedboard. The Force clones have bent axels and the DH baseplate didn't slow the turning in the way I wanted.

Speed is a new thing for me and I really didn't think I would like it as much as I do...it has elements of motorcycling for me that are much more reachable (for me) on 4 wheels and no motor.

OK, when you put it that way, it sounds more interesting to me. I won't be getting a momo-cycle anytime soon, but a speed board could be fairly attainable...

park skating...OK I consider myself old in body if not in mind...make sure you buy yourself a GOOD set of pads before you set foot on board in a park, learn to fall to your knees when you fall...this has become so ingrained over the years that I have to wear them or I will fall on bare knees (something I have done more than once). A helmet is also a wise choice...parks tend to be pinball parlors and I have been hurt nearly as bad getting hit by someone else as I did f---ing up a crail slide in the Manbowl at Skater Island both cases the helmet saved my skull.

Pads, helmet, knee-sliding all taken care of. I skated ramps for a while in the ealry 90's, so knee-sliding is second nature to me too. Can't wait to hang out with all the little kick-flippers in their girly-pants, me fully padded with helmet and slide gloves on my "big" board.......

It's almost there, these were taken a month and a half ago. They're done with the 'crete now, all they gotta do is finish the fence. (Just in time for some snow....):

herriman-skatepark4.jpg

herriman-skatepark3.jpg

herriman-skatepark8.jpg

yeah I commute by motorcycle 5 days a week 40 miles a day 10-11 months a year but the leaning into turns on a board at 20-40 feels like 70-80 plus on my bike...

BTW you suck....that park looks very very nice...stay in the bowls and you probably won't have the kick-flippers to annoy you...at least until they figure out how much fun roundwall is

I just got back from our park...every form is set and it's all re-barred and wire clothed....weather holding we should be pouring for the rest of the week and after it cures, skating next week