Note to New Members ×

Who is your instructor?

Phil

Mark Jeangerard. He was in Breck the last I knew. We did allot of runs at the last SES. He knows what he is doing and is one of the only certified hardboot guys I know of. Doug Dryer is also outstanding along with Sean! Now heres a good one, I was used as an example at Mammoth a few years ago for Euro turns. It got me in the front row all day long. Was I a bad example or good??? LOL

I've never taken a hardboot lesson and don't think I took a soft boot lesson after my 1st. My 1st lesson was with a Lowell someone at Stowe, Vermont '86-87. The lesson was mandatory and you received a photo ID card (similar to a season pass, I still have it!) which you needed to get up the lift each time on a snowboard.

Lowell rocked! After a 90 minute lesson we were off Spruce Peak and hitting single black diamond runs. I begged my parents ( I was 15) to take us back to Stowe the next spring break just to ride.

After reading some of the replies here I'm pretty sure this was Lowell Hart.

As a side note I rode rental Burton Elite, Kemper something , GNU something and a Sims Blade (the Cadillac @ the time) those first two years at Stowe. Sorels with ski boot liners both years too.

//Paul

I would like to put a vote in for Sean. He got me started from 0 and was very supportvie of an older student. I rode about 120 days last year without a lesson basically because of scheduling problems with clincs. I made good progress using my video camera and a variety of friends/children as camera holders. I try to get several videos over the course of a day to see if I am actually improving the things I am working on. I just got the new Flip video camera which is cheap, small, and has better battery life than the camera I was using.

In contrast to many posters here I do not seem to benifit from riding with other hardbooters. I watched the race camps and several pros train over the last couple of summers and have pretty much decided to go my own way. I actually think I have made better progress with my friend who is a national team skiing coach than watching the hard bood guys. As an aside, I was definiatly not impressed with the work ethic of the pros I have seen. While the ski racers come and work hard for 3-4 solid hours, the boarders ride for mabe ten runs and then call it a day. Whats with that?