Note to New Members ×

First Drop Deck Build

Chubz

Stoked about the first drop deck I built during the past week. :biggthump Some lessons learned to optimize for next build, but an overall successful build, rides very at speed, solid under foot and is still quite turny. Actually felt like cheating compared to riding a topmount. Hoping this gets me over the 60 MPH mark.

I thought I would share one of my builds of what is keeping me sane and from kicking the cats over the summer not being able to carve on snow.

JBS come on out and try it.

Greg

post-1008-141842239056_thumb.jpg

post-1008-141842239057_thumb.jpg

post-1008-14184223906_thumb.jpg

chubz,

tool knock off band

my buddy saw them here in boston 9/29

7dust meets tool, kinda good

bonus: the real deal Breña Live

good lookin' drop deck, your designs just rawk, imho

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LRYJMFMp5c"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LRYJMFMp5c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

WW

by the way your deck is still awaiting burn and delivery.. I think you are going to dig it, if you are still interested.

This board is super turny when you loosen the king pin a couple turns. I had it out this afternoon at a local state park. The road was a bit more fast and turny than I expected and drifted into grassy burm and out over the handlebars for a 15 foot belly slide. Had fun though.

Gotta run

I presume those are not RII 180s- maybe DHs?, if you plan to hit 60 with that much extra wedging?

Are you pressing with a vaccum bag or a wood form? Your board looks to be right in the mid-ground between what you can pull with a vac & what requires a mechanical press.

Looks nice overall, thought those angles worry me a little!

They are Randal II's

I press my boards in piece forms, tublar steel and square tubular steel and use screw clamps atop the steel and requires separate pressings because the wood will not form to those angles when all plys are in there. If someone would be able to vac that shape, I would be interested in seeing it, even though I will always stick with mech presses.

Also, what creates concern on the angles? Just interested. I set the back at 18 degrees and a slightly tilt at the front.

The issue with a the angles in the rear is essentially that in DH like Slalom you want the rear truck to be dead (dewedged) so that it just tracks the front and not initiating a turn on it's own. This can be done a number of ways, using wedges, bending the board (sorta like an Anti-kick) or shallower angle truck such as Randal DH's, Crails, Force R-7's (to name a few of the cheaper options) I'm gonna buy "a" Pogo baseplate for my back truck to slow down the turning on the rear

look at a Landy Evo for board wedging/de-wedging and Khiro for wedge kits now I personally don't care for the way Evo's ride (a little to dead in the back for me) nor do I like the lunch tray like concave but it's pretty much the standard that many drop decks are based on. As for the Fish Board building Forum is pretty good

Evo-side.jpg

For now I would add wedge(s) to make the rear truck "flat" - i.e. on the same plane as the flat area of the deck...or even slightly (5 degrees or so) "de-wedged". There is no standard for wedging - it all comes down to how the board rides and feels to YOU in any given configuration...experiment. One thing is for sure - with that rear truck wedged positively like it is now the board will be way to turny for it's intended use and/or unstable in turns at speed. :)