Note to New Members ×

Legal Board Specs For Racing

Thor VonRippington

There was a brief discussion on another thread about skwals and narrow boards being banned long ago from competitions. Not many hard facts were offered and it left me with some questions.

What are the current acceptable board specs for racing?

Why are the restricted specs in place... is there an advantage to specs outside of the restrictions?

Are there other restrictions involved in snowboard racing in general (gear or otherwise)?

Any information would be interesting to me... I'm not going to the races... just curious. Thanks!

FIS Rulebook in pdf format.

2090 Competitors Equipment

2090.1 Snowboards

Only Snowboards can be used in competitions.

The boards minimal width is restricted as follows:

Gliding surface length................Minimal width

up to 135 cm...........................14 cm

more than 135 cm................16 cm

2090.2 Bindings

The bindings must be fixed diagonally on the long axis of the board. The

boots cannot overlap each other.

2090.3 Retention devices, leashes

Safety leashes are optional unless required by the organiser or the ski area.

2090.4 Balance and Speed control

The competitors are not allowed to wear anything on the hands besides

gloves or to use any kind of devices to additionally support their balance,

reduce or accelerate their speed, like poles or sticks etc.

It is the nature of Snowboard sport that the quality of preparation of the

main racing or event track deteriorates toward the inside and outside of

the ideal line as an event continues.

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine that anything less than 16cm wide would not allow the bindings to be at an angle that would be considered 'substantially diagonal' to the long axis. In the eyes of FIS, if your bindings aren't diagonal, you're not snowboarding.

And... maybe it's just an arbitrary number pulled out of thin air?

I imagine that anything less than 16cm wide would not allow the bindings to be at an angle that would be considered 'substantially diagonal' to the long axis. In the eyes of FIS, if your bindings aren't diagonal, you're not snowboarding.

And... maybe it's just an arbitrary number pulled out of thin air?

Alright... I'll buy that... Thanks

• 1 month later...
There was a brief discussion on another thread about skwals and narrow boards being banned long ago from competitions. Not many hard facts were offered and it left me with some questions.

Can someone tell me where this thread is? I would like to update our skwalzone.org website with this history but I can't find if this is a hoax or not. I the skwal community it is said that they were banned from snowboard races because skwals where just faster, but where is the truth?

I can remember years ago when racing boards started getting narrower and narrower. It was common to see them 17cm wide back then, and some even narrower. It was about that time that I remember the rule being made regarding minimum width. I don't know, but I suspect that the FIS saw the trend toward skinnier and skinnier boards and wanted to make sure that we didn't end up with 2 bindings mounted on a ski or something like that, so the set the limit to about the same as the current skinny boards.

Now the trend has gone back to wider boards with less steep binding angles.

Can someone tell me where this thread is? I would like to update our skwalzone.org website with this history but I can't find if this is a hoax or not. I the skwal community it is said that they were banned from snowboard races because skwals where just faster, but where is the truth?

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=17086&page=1&highlight=virus+skwal