Note to New Members ×

Colorado / Summit / Aspen

Ray

Conditions are changing to spring conditions right now. Frozen mornings and slushy afternoons. Buttermilk had an awesome conditions day yesterday but with the sun it changed drastically by 1:00. I expect it was frozen solid this morning.

The conditions of SES will probably not return unless we get a good dump.

that is what I expect for the rest of the season.

I'll be at Breckenridge on 3/17, Vail on 3/18 and back to Breck on the 17th. I'll be wearing a really ugly apple green and black coat and riding with 2 other newbie carvers if anyone wants to take a couple runs or have lunch. St. Patties day downtown Breck should be fun on Weds. night.

Many of the CO resorts close around mid-April, and Loveland and Arapahoe Basin stay open long after all the others close. A-Basin stayed open until July 2 last season, and will go longer during banner snow years. Even into late May, the riding is often sensational, and the beach party that erupts at the Basin even more reason to make a late-season visit!

The riding is often outstanding in the spring. Most times it's sunny and warm, and night-frozen snow quickly thaws to silky smooth corn and deeper mashed potatoes. Other times it dumps: some of the best storms of the year happen in the spring. Then you can ride deep midwinter powder until it warms up again.

Cornice-pre-jump-op.jpg

Spring is a great time to air it out off the cornice!