Note to New Members ×

Gearing up for the Season

Damion Terrell

Hey cool Southwest riders. Its been since April since someone last posted.

I got to make a few turns near the end of the season, broken wrist and all, at NorthStar in Tahoe. Slush, no powder and certainatly not on my carving board :(

But now everything is healed and I'm getting psyched about this next season. Lets start getting in touch and planning some trips.

Hope everyone's summer was great.

I live in ABQ, so wherever there's snow and I can get a cheap deal on lift tickets.

But I usually hit Angel Fire most. I like the crew up there and they are big time carving/race community promoters.

I grew up ridding Los Alamos' local Pajarito ski area so that one is always a favorite to go back to.

But if we get enough people, I'm always up for a Wolf Creek or A-Basin trip.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Damion.

Looks like we'll be doing the Sunday pass again this year @ Angel Fire.

I have no plans until Dec. We might hit CO early season but we'll see.

What's the snow forcast looking like this year? I've heard mixed reviews...

Pony up the extra $99 and get the six pack too. I'm draging you up to Angel fire for the GS/Slalom races by your shiney hard plastic boots!! That's six weekends; or at least a couple of race weekends, and 4 sunday's you can lend/barter the pass to somebody else.

Think about it.

And any other NM peeps reading this post, lets race!!!

Hey Damion.

Looks like we'll be doing the Sunday pass again this year @ Angel Fire.

I have no plans until Dec. We might hit CO early season but we'll see.

What's the snow forcast looking like this year? I've heard mixed reviews...

PS how's your summer been? Mine's been hectic, but I'm looking forward to winter.

As for as snow forcast, I haven't heard anything good. But who knows, think happy snow vibes.

• 3 weeks later...
PS how's your summer been? Mine's been hectic, but I'm looking forward to winter.

As for as snow forcast, I haven't heard anything good. But who knows, think happy snow vibes.

Summer has been ok. I broke a bone in my foot skateboarding so I didn't get much off season training. I'll have noodle legs through January I'm sure.

Not sure on boarding on Saturdays. My wife gives me enough grief about being gone every Sunday. Maybe a couple weekends I'll get that kitchen pass.

Snow forcast is calling for "La Nina" or something like that. 33% less snow and higher temps. Let's pray it doesn't happen!

Our first trip this season will probably be to Wolf Creek. I'm thinking the first week of December or so? I'll be in softies either way....won't hit the hard boots till January? It really depends on the snow.

Ski Swap is this weekend. Are you going? There were about four carving boards there last year. It's always fun to go look and see what's out there. You never know what you'll find. There's always the rare "score find" at these events! :biggthump

• 2 weeks later...

hmm. we oughta make plans with wolf creek riding session, tho it'll deifnitly be on the "fly." Because I rather go to Wolf Creek during last minute when its dumping ****load. (oh **** yea, ill call in sick and haul ass in the darkness with deep snow snowin gall over the mountain from Vail).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bamboo_Girl

Well sort of :)

Right now (the 27th) I'm seeing basically nothing open in NM, save for maybe AF?.

Colorado looks alright, I'm wondering what conditions would be like at somewhere like Wolf Creek right now?....I believe they are reporting a base of what, 5 inches or so?

Loveland supposedly has 18 (manmade) while Eldora is showing 24".

Well sort of :)

Right now (the 27th) I'm seeing basically nothing open in NM, save for maybe AF?.

Colorado looks alright, I'm wondering what conditions would be like at somewhere like Wolf Creek right now?....I believe they are reporting a base of what, 5 inches or so?

Loveland supposedly has 18 (manmade) while Eldora is showing 24".

We've had some good days at Loveland already and Thor Von Rippington said that A-Basin is about the only other mtn who has decent snow. This past Sunday we had 13 riding with 11 in hardboots. Good times indeed. Come join us if you can. We usually post in the CO section what is going on for the weekend since that is when we can ride.

Ink

I'm not too keen on fighting the crowds on the weekends in CO considering the lack of options/snow. Lack of runs is one thing, but waiting in long lift lines for little variety, crowded slopes, and crappy conditions is another.

I think our first trip will be to Wolf Creek, but they'll need a bit more snow before we go. Not this weekend but maybe next weekend?

Also our Angel Fire pass this year has three days at Parito, Crested Butte, and Monarch...so we will be doing a two day trip to Crested/Monarch sometime this season.

As far as NM resorts I think Ski Apache has been getting the best snow from the recent storms. They open this Friday.

Other resorts open in NM are Sippapu (small, crappy IMHO) and Red River (decent but not my favorite-especially for carving).

Bamboo are you doing the Santa Fe thing again this year? Going to make any trips to Angel Fire this season? Any plans for hardbooting more this year? I saw you at Santa Fe last year but you were jibbing in the park. I can't believe they destroyed Upper Broadway with that park! That was one of the best spots on the lower mountain for carving. Oh well we always have Muerte/Spruce Bowl/Midland...

Guest Bamboo_Girl

Hey :)

Supposedly there's a big storm that's making the rounds, though not here in NM apparently. I checked wolf creek's website and they listed something on the order of 2.5 feet (or more) of new snow. It sure sounds great, but then I think of the 4 hour drive (I'm guessing as I've never driven there) and then it seems a bit too far, especially for a day trip.

I'd like to do the santa fe routine again, assuming they get a decent bit of snow. So far it looks like it hasn't happen just yet. About angel fire, that's another possibility too, maybe less often, provided the snow is alright.

Since I enjoy jibbing I liked the park but thought it was terribly mismanaged. If you saw it then you had to have seen people going over jumps, boxes, all on each others heels....accident waiting to happen because they had no patroller monitoring it.

I doubt I'll do hardbooting actually. I'm still very new at this and have tons to learn. So I'll work on soft boot carving and playing (if they even have a park that is).

I tried carving muerte late last year but more often than not fell thanks to poor technique.

Live and you learn :)

Hey john. I usually go by last minute (yes i do call in sick :) ). 28 inches... ill wait. ive seen better -- two years ago -- 3 to 4 feet which was totally insane, and my long board didnt stay up. LOL i end up hiking out in deep deep deep ****.

Hey Lee...no worries man. I'm dying to make some turns and Wolfie looks like the best spot right now. Four hours drive is kinda rough for a day trip but if the conditions are good it's well worth it. Not to mention there's nothing in NM worthwhile yet...

Still nothing set in stone as I need to talk to Robert and Sean (who is suffering from a groin/hernia injury right now).

JPW

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming the conditions are worth it we will be going to Angel Fire on Sunday (Sunday only pass).

I think I'll be on HB's too, at least for the morning. If you look for me:

Yellow Head SP's (with BTS), grey pants, black jacket, black helmet with hardbooter.com stickers. My only HB stick right now is my Hooger 163 (rock board anyhow). I sold my Coiler as I'm putting in a new order with Bruce-if he ever returns my email!!!

AF was pretty fun! I carved all day and had noodle legs by 3 then hit the bar for a football update. Best runs were definately right after our lunchtime trip to the car! Hallalujah on the backside was the only groomed path top to bottom. The rest was pretty brutal on HB's. I'm sure they'll get Hully Gully in order for some primo backside carving! :biggthump Almost the entire mountain is open already. They just needed to work out some of the paths on the lower frontside to open up some of the better frontside carving runs. You know the whole catwalk BS because of the terrain...

Oh yeah I verified today with the guy at AF that our Sunday passes also get the same lift deal as the Southwest Passport. That's 9 free lifts total...3 each to Pajarito, Monarch, and Crested Buttocks. Not bad for $149...and I bought mine for $129 with the early commitment. Good stuff!

BIG NEWS FOR ME...I talked to Mark J. and he's staying in Santa Fe this year! If you want to ride with one of the best go see him! Better yet let's all go and "BUY" him for an afternoon of HB tips and rips!!!!!

I prob won't ride AF again until New Years with all the family stuff going on. I may go hit up Santa Fe on Thursday after Xmas?

Look for my trenches....

JPW

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be at Angel Fire tomorrow (Sunday Pass). Looks pretty good for carving top to bottom on frontside AND backside now. I'm sure it'll be a zoo though through New Years.

You locals need to buy a Sunday Pass for the free lifts alone. Three trips to Pajarito and it would pay itself off, not to mention the three lifts to both Crested and Monarch, and the pass to AF of course...

Hey all just wanted to send a HELOO toanyone out there in the Land of Enchantment. I'm a 12+ year HB rider but currently in medical/pain recovery due to extreme foot pain. Not to mention I'm selling my current HB setup. But anyway just wanted to throw a hello out there to all the craving crazies out there. Last year at Ski Santa Fe was a great year and I was there a few times. This year just my daughter will be up there, not using her board, but learning how to control 2 sticks instead. Hopefully the board will come next year. We have a HB setup ready to go for her already.

Angel Fire was starting to look kinda rough last Sunday, but the new snow might revive it.

I am thinking about hitting up Pajarito this Saturday or Sunday. Would anybody else be interested in meeting up there? Time to use up one of the three free passes I have for Pajarito via my Angel Fire Sunday Pass...

Also might be doing a CB+Monarch trip the following week. I have three passes each to both of those as well.