Note to New Members ×

Newby Board Question

Guest thomas_m

Guest thomas_m

Another 'what board is right for me?' beginner topic, mea culpa in advance.

Like I said in my previous post, this is my first season and I'm getting pretty comfortable on my freeride board(Donek Wide) on most blue runs. Every now and then I actually seem to carve a turn but I may be fooling myself on that one...

So I'd like to look into a hardboot setup but the obvious fear is that I won't have the time, coordination, whatever to become reasonably proficient and will have an equipment investment that I'm not using.

The question - how useful are the 'all mountain' boards for general riding? You know, cruising down the green and blue groomers, skidding some(most?) turns, carving others? Handling late in the day crowd beaten, refrozen icy trails? How about their utility in this area versus freeride boards and softboots?

Thanks,

Thomas

Thomas,

Just buy a used setup. You can probably get the whole thing for under $250 (boots, board, bindings). Use every thing for one season. If you feel that you aren't getting enough time on the slopes to warrant spending the money for the setup, sell it. As far as all purpose carving decks, I have a Burton E-deck that I ride. It is considered a hard riding soft deck or maybe a soft riding hard deck. Which ever it is, its a good board. I've had it since 1997 and still ride it from time to time. Most all mountain boards I've demoed from reps are good. The best part about them is you can ride hard or soft , in the park or carving down a steep groomer. My suggestion to you is buy a hard setup and don't worry about the price if you can, you'll be able to sell it next year if you don't like it.

Guest thomas_m
Originally posted by Jack Michaud

Check out the Welcome Center for answers to common questions. There's a piece on buying alpine boards.

I also think that all-mountain carving boards are excellent do-it-all boards. You won't regret it.

-Jack

Thanks Jack. Now if I can just get my wife to forget about the 5 surfboards hanging on the garage before I bring up the subject of additional snowboards...

T.

Originally posted by thomas_m

The question - how useful are the 'all mountain' boards for general riding? You know, cruising down the green and blue groomers, skidding some(most?) turns, carving others? Handling late in the day crowd beaten, refrozen icy trails? How about their utility in this area versus freeride boards and softboots?

Thanks,

Thomas

Your answer to your Question. I have a couple of all mountain hard boot set ups and my soft set up has sat in the storage room for two years now. Your comment/question on how "Handling late in the day crowd beaten, refrozen icy trails?" , no problem they slice thru that crap like a knife thru butter specially my shorter Prior 4X4 174. So give it a try.