Note to New Members ×

Any predictions on the Tour de France?

Jeffrey Day

Road racing is alive and well in the US at the grass roots level and the Tour will survive despite the scandals, but maybe it will be more fun for those of us that are hardcore racers,fans,and coaches if the sport fades back into the relative obscurity that hardbooting enjoys.Won't be any money in it(isn't any now anyway) but the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment,the tech and cool equipment, and excelling at something most can't relate to will still make it fun to be a part of...just like hardbooting.

Well,I just read that Vino tested positive the day of the tt,pulling a Hamilton and blood doping with other people's blood.Holy f*@k!!! I think I will stop deciding I like riders for what seems like class and a good personality,since they seem to be the ones most likely to be doping... I now believe that significant jail time for team docs and riders,not just suppliers, is needed in order for things to be cleaned up.Maybe being Bubba's bitch in prison(he'd love those hairless legs)would be a more effective deterrent than a little old four year suspension from the Protour.That and full payback from offending riders of their salaries to sponsors and teams.Unbelievable!

I have been wondering if there is a side effect that has been overlooked by the scientific community.That is that systematic doping might actually make a racer exponentially more stupid with increased usage;thereby giving a false sense of stealth and invincibilty.What else can explain it?

Of course there is the possibility that there is a mafia-like underground controlling the offending racers who may be getting in too deep to get out after a certain point.And I would not rule out that some even have been doped without realizing since many receive intravenous vitamins,hydration etc.;although I think I would know if my wattage went up 20% in two days.This is just crazy.I think I will start following something more believable like roller derby...

I might predict that there will be no real winner this year, everyone will be caught with some type of drug/doping violation save but one low level amateur that had no chance of winning but did not believe in doping. He will be the ultimate winner this year.

• 1 month later...

wont dig into the archives here, but i remember times when saying he and lance were doped started a ' french hate when US wins ' war etc... am glad truth comes out slowly but out still.... still way to go. When our athletes are doped, we also blame them: its just cheating that is not liked and finally this 07 tour showed that even the best can be taken out... ( vino, etc).. the feeling here is that a new breed of riders are ariving, with a cleaner view of how to win races... funny enough the average speed of the races have been down by almst 7-8 km/h in the pas years because of increased high tech controls... ( in 2004-05, i read a paper quoting 30% of tour riders had medical papers saying they had asthma )...

At least there is no deep to dope to freecarve :)

N.

( in 2004-05, i read a paper quoting 30% of tour riders had medical papers saying they had asthma )

In early TDF history you see pics of the riders smoking (they thought that this helped open the lungs a little more) and chugging brews. Bicycling did some research some years ago about the effects of alcohol on o2 intake. They found out that one night of binge drinking decreased the max VO2 so much that it took a month to recover to where they were prior to getting tanked. Bottoms up!

Beer,good beer that is, has been a great recovery tool after races for me over the years when doing stage races or consecutive days of racing,but in that same famous photo of the smokers there was most likely brandy in those aluminum bottles. I'm thankfully too much of a light weight for that, but have had a few good performances when hungover.Once you puke on your breakaway partner you feel much better.This actually happened at Downers Grove when I was a cat 3. I had won the day before at WoodDale and made a deal while drinking a bit too much to celebrate.The deal was that if we could do it again at Downers, Lawrence would get the win.We did and he did but not before I puked over my shoulder and all over his bars and hands when we were digging deep to stay away the last few laps.You could hear the spectators we passed being grossed out. Good times.

In early TDF history you see pics of the riders smoking (they thought that this helped open the lungs a little more) and chugging brews. Bicycling did some research some years ago about the effects of alcohol on o2 intake. They found out that one night of binge drinking decreased the max VO2 so much that it took a month to recover to where they were prior to getting tanked. Bottoms up!

LOL!!!!!

Thats pretty interesting about the max VO2. During my wrestling days, if I got hammered on a saturday night, I'd feel it for at least 2 weeks.

One time I came into a saturday morning practice kind of drunk with my co-captain (we were good examples) and while running, the smell of captain morgans grew stronger and stronger because we were sweating it out, which I thought was a myth. We had to keep our distance from the coach or else we'd be running laps till we puke. The good thing is that I kicked ass that practice :D