Note to New Members ×

Surgery Report

Rob Stevens

Exactly one month ago, today, I broke my collarbone into a few pieces and had it surgically "reduced" by a pre-curved plate, which matches the bones natural curve, all held together by a few screws.

Normally, you could count on a very uncomfortable month in a sling, followed by some weeks of rehab, but only if it healed properly in the first place.

I can say, without hesitation, that if any of you fine people injure yourself this way, go for the surgery.

Apparenty, in most places, the number of clavicle breaks is fairly small, so the docs in those areas may not perform this procedure, as they just aren't exposed to it enough. Here in Banff, the meds see up to a dozen a week (4 on my day), so they are at the leading edge of this type of treatment.

I celebrated my recovery, pain-free and with no physio, by pinning the section of trail which claimed me, on Sunday.

Bikes are fun.

I have a matched set of big lumps from broken collarbones on both sides.For the second I was on a bike ten years ago(the procedure you speak of was being performed in my area at the time)and had only insurance with a high deductible so I got to do the sling thing.The main bills were the ambulance and emergency rooms which were hilariously expensive,all to tell me have fun with the sling and some good drugs.My wife is from Toronto and misses socialized health care.Just curious if your surgery was covered by that or if you had to pay alot.I can't imagine what it would cost down here,as it would most likely be considered elective by my current health insurance which has doubled in two years .The right to pay so much for it is considered a "benefit" by the company my wife works for.We have raised the deductable and are looking elsewhere now for coverage. Even many middle class down here don't have health insurance.

We all pay high taxes on both sides of the border but it seems healthcare is a good thing to pay for with them.As the powers that be try to make the middle class pay for everything to fill a few pockets in big industry with all of the money things will get worse up there if the conservitives try to follow the Bush model.The the upper middle and up will afford it like they always do and everyone else will get screwed.Hope the voters keep it from happening up there because it will be too expensive for those just making it income wise.The US model does not work.edit;nearly as well as the uppers would have us think.