Note to New Members ×

TD2 & old Burton boots

Guest mbsurfer

Guest mbsurfer

Anyone had problems with old Burton boots fitting into TrenchDiggers?

I just unpacked a new set of TD2s, slapped them onto the board, and discovered to my horror that the toe bails are too narrow to fit over my boots (Burton MGXs from '93 or '94) . More specifically, the lugs hit the bottom of the boot toe when trying to fasten the toe bail. I'm not talking barely scraping, I'm saying they lift the boot right off the plate.

Fin & Michelle from Bomber have been responsive but basically say my boots are not DIN standard and I might consider filing them down. I'm thinking there's got to be a better way. Did the old TDs have this problem? Anyone solved this issue without cutting holes into their boots? If I switch to a different binding (F-2, Catek, etc.), will I have the same issue?

I'm switching from an all Burton set-up -- board, bindings, boots -- and only plan to keep the boots because they fit so well. I'd really like to keep the TD2s, but I need ideas.

Any/all advice is much appreciated. -- Bruce

Hey Bruce

I had a similar problem with my TD1's. Here was my fix.

The Shoulder Bolt on the TD1 step in are longer than the shoulder bolts of the TD1 standard. Using the longer shoulder bolt made it possible to spread the toe bail apart (not quite a cm), this fixed my problem.

Fin informed me that the shoulder bolt from the TD1 and TD2 are the same, so you should be able to change them. $12 and you can keep your feet happy.

Hope this helps

Rob

Guest Howard Roark

Since you are asking for "any/all" suggestions, I must point out the most obvious solution- Get new Boots! You are trying to use 10-year old boots with brand new, state of the art, 2004 bindings. It is like being upset that you can't get a digital signal with your analog cell phone. The times, they are a changin. What good is the best binding in the world if your boots suck?

The good news is, the season in VERY young - you will get lots of return on your investment (read: fun) if you buy boots now.

Good luck.

Guest mbsurfer

Rob, you are a genius. I tested your theory by taking the longer shoulder bolts from the rear spring lugs, used them to attach the front toe bail, and now the boots fit great. They give the toe bail enough room to spread out, with about the thickness of the lip of one shoulder bolt to spare.

Hey Fin/Michelle, see any issues with this arrangement? Is my warrantee still good?

Thanks again Rob, another $12 bucks and I'm back in business. If you're ever in San Diego or Mammoth, the beers are on me.

Howard, thanks also for your suggestion. After a new board and new bindings, I'm out of scratch for new boots. Maybe next season.

Bruce