Note to New Members ×

Plate bindings for racing...

brodster_57

I currently run CATEKS and really like them. I love the adjustability most of all. However I do realize that they do not offer much in the shock absorbsion area. I know that TD's have better shock absorbing properties. I would however like some feedback as to what is working well on the race course these days. CATEK's work great when the snow is good, but they get a little brutal when the snow gets icy and cut up with ruts and bumps. I also have heard that many of the racers have veered away from CATEK's for that particular reason. I surely don't want a sloppy binding, and I love precision carves. This is usually my strategy when running a race course rather than skidding. We all know a carved turn is more efficient and all that but sometimes a skidded turn will get you the finish line quicker. How about TD's any of you guys race these bindings on a regular basis. Any pros that run them that are doing successfully in the WC? Other recommendations welcome? Thank you.

Guest Randy S.

I ride TD2s in my races. As for what I saw from the World Cup folks:

Jasey Jay runs Cateks

Klug runs Burton Race Plates (he says he likes the flexibility)

Most Euros run F2 non step-ins or something similar

Anton Pogue was running Burtons or similar with Raichle Flexon ski boots that looked very well-modified.

I like the TD2s, but I don't know if I'm critical enough. I used to ride F2 Titanflex and Burton before that. My concern with the Burtons was that I could pull free of the toe-piece on a very hard toe-side turn in the steeps (scary).

If you are going to be down in Tahoe, you are welcome to try my TD2s. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm coming up to Mt. Bachelor next weekend to watch the World Cup races. You could try them there also.

Guest Jack1080

I race in the midwest and I love my TD2's when the course gets rutty and icy. I can hold my edge on turns that alot of people boot out on. I raced on Burton Race Step-Ins before the TD2's and I will never go back. I would suggest the stiffest pads for racing.

Jack

Western Michigan University

Unfortunatley, there is no "norm" or "best" for bindings in the race world. Depends upon your style and conditions......

As pointed out, some guys use very rigid equipment, others do not.

Although, there appears to be more guys using Bombers/Cateks than before....as a total percetage.

Bombers

Burtons

Catek

SnowPro

Emery

Virus

Phioka

F2

Just to name a few......

Originally posted by KenW

The TD2's, while better flexing than the TD1's, are still more rigid (even with the soft yellow pad) than my Cateks. I find the Cateks quite good at flexing/shock absorbtion

I am not racing - I am just freecarving - but I do find a TD2 SI w/ soft e-ring to be more shock-absorbing than a '04 Catek Olympic SI long plate.

I am "measuring" that by the amount of "knee-rattling" and fatigue that I experience riding my Axis over "used" groomers and bumpy terrain. I know, I know, it's not a very precise measurement like race times...

Which Cateks are you using?

Those look just like the Burton Race Plates, but with adjustable canting. According to this forum, the Burton Race Plates are "so weak they're unsafe for anyone but a child." The Phiokkas come with 5mm or 6mm bales. The 2001 Burton race Plates came with....drum roll please...5mm or 6mm bales.

Go figure.

Bola,

This is true. Another issue with the Burtons is that the bails are put into shear where they mount to the baseplate. That happens in the Phiokka design, too. The Burton bail failures do seem to be a problem stemming from quality control.

Still, those bindings do bear a striking resemblance to the Burtons. The baseplates of the Phiokkas are made of a medium strength alloy, but they mount to a nylon disc. The bails mount the same way as on the Burtons, and make use of a gasket to help absorb vibrations. The only real difference seems to be that the Phiokkas have adjustable cant.

Of course, this is all speculation based on a few photos, so I could be completely off-base.

Isabelle Blanc won the Olympics on the PH-1 model.

basically Phiokka (italian company) oem's for many european brands like Virus etc. since they have a HUGE industrial capacity in CNC machines ( their core business is making parts for rockets, sattelites etc...)

Its true a lot of racers a going toward them these past seasons (seems from the donek website one of their rider is riding phiokkas too).

We have one PH1 in test, but didn't really have the time to test it (soon). It looks rock solid, the bails are thick and look strong.

The canting/lift is given by plastic cut discs that are between the plate and the conic base of the plate.

Nils

The Phiokka are most simliar to the Emery Course (Rossi). (Note the angle adjustment and lack of "disc"....which was why Burton are so flexy....which leads to bail breakage....and why those alum Burton disc are worth their weight in gold)

They are certainly more flexible than Cateks and Bombers....but beefier than a SnowPro or any Burton.

I suppse you can try to argue any benefits to flexy or beefy bindings.....but it looks like the Phiokka's are the most popular binding right now at both the NA FIS races and WC events and people are scrambling to get them. Jeff Greenwood is the NA....or at least he was last year.

At Fin's defense.....Bombers are certainly more popular on the race hill than 3-4 years ago.

K