Note to New Members ×

Great first day on 'real' carving board

Guest artnshel

Guest artnshel

My first day on a 'real' board was a big eye opener. I previously rode a 160 Burton Fusion which had 8.4m sidecut and today I rode a new to me, Oxygen Proton GS 168 that I think has a 13m sidecut. First run I fell down several times and the next few runs I could barely ride. The timing was so different, I'd lean into a turn and the board wouldn't be there yet, I was thinking, 'this board was a mistake'. Next I wasn't confident initiating turns, especially heal side. It took 6-8 runs to start having big fun but now I love it.

Next I get to work on technique and carving the steeper blue pitches. Thanks to everyone here for being a great resource so I read and learn.

I'm curious what effect length has on how the board rides? I understand that sidecut effects the radius of the carve a board wants to make but I could buy a longer board with less sidecut like a Donek Axis 177 with an 11m sidecut. It has a similar contact length but is wider for my big feet and would handle varied conditions better. My question is would the longer Axis feel more maneuverable?

In general - the longer the board - the LESS maneuverable it will feel, but will provide you with more stability at higher speeds. If you want more maneuverable - go to SL board rather than GS. Just don't expect to make TIGHT turns on a GS board, go for the LONG, DRAWN-OUT carves - and you'll learn to appreciate it . . . And get an SL board (shorter one) for your quick-turn fun.

I have - 168 Oxygen Proton GS for lay-them-out and a 157 Burton Factory Prime (SL) for I-need-all-the-maneuverability-I-can-get-so-that-I-can-avoid-hiting-people-on-a-too-crowded-slope . . . :D

Guest artnshel

I like making long turns most of the time and the Proton seems well suited to that but as you point out when it gets crowded or on tight trails a shorter side cut would be nice. Where I was going was that I'd like to have two boards with the second one doing to the tighter turning duty and powder days as well. That's why I wanted to hear that I could get away with a longer board with a shorter sidecut for tighter turns as well as powder days. Unfortunately those two uses may not go together too well.

Guest artnshel

This board certainly has a whole different speed sweet spot than I'm used to. I have to admit I found my self going too fast once and slowed up only to realize I wasn't going too fast for this board, just every other one I've ridden. I'll push through that plateau next time. Maybe I'll get to go out tomorrow. Telluride was closed today due to a power outage caused by a slide.