Note to New Members ×

Champion's Cross - Good or bad for snowboard racing in general?

gburgess

The sport of SBX is clearly growing.

Seth Wescott and Sugarloaf holding the first Champion's Cross this weekend. Winner takes home $10,000. The stated goal is to "create the premiere boardercross tour in North America."

Good or bad for snowboard racing in general? Will this help create more interest in alpine style racing?

http://www.nessg.com/championscross07.shtml

Good for snowboarding. Won't really effect the alpine world much at all.

It's great to have another option for athletes to go and try to win enough money to call themselves professional athletes. Compared to other professional sports in the US ski and snowboarding pay crap. So more events with good pay out the better.

But I don't see how it could effect alpine at all, other than the possibility that it will make SBX even more attractive in the eyes of up and coming racers and could take some talent away from the PGS and PSL side of the sport.

This w/e is the Canadian SBX Championship / NorAm. The best; and up and coming are there, to earn pionts to get to the Olympics...

Going head to head with other events is counter productive.

I believe promoting all snowboarding events is ultimately good for us.

We have a history of going in multiple directions. Part of our appeal & challenge.

They should go head to head with what the CSF is doing. The Olympics are a few years out, the Canadian Nationals is not going to make or break your Olympic shoot. You can earn the minimun FIS points to meet the Olympic criteria at any FIS event if you do well enough, plus you need a top 25 in a World Cup with in a year before the Olympics. So really the Canadian Nationals dosen't mean anything in the big picture leading up to the Olympics. The entry fee is $90, plus a $40 lift ticket. Pay out is only to the top 4 ($2000,$1000,$500,$250). Seth is offering a FAR better option for the athletes to pay thier bills. If the organizers in the US and Canada did a better job then Seth wouldn't have to put forth the effort to make an event happen where athletes can actually pay for the travel to get there.

If the organizers in the US and Canada did a better job then Seth wouldn't have to put forth the effort to make an event happen where athletes can actually pay for the travel to get there.

Sad but true...kudos to Wescott for going against the grain and trying to progress the organizing of events!

This stuff is expensive (racing) at any level...heck if I get a medal at USASA's I'll be hocking it in Sacramento for my plane (bus?) fare home...otherwise I'm walkin'!!

Just kidding, sort of.