Note to New Members ×

Donek Vs. Madd Vs. Prior

eastcoasticerider

I'm inviting a polite discourse on the comparitive virtues and / or weaknesses of these boards and any other custom carving softboot boards you care to comment on.....I am using the 155 length as a median .....this is not a test for credit......imagine you are using a set of Catek Freerides with Solomon Malamutes boots:

Donek Incline 155....waist 24.10 .......nose.......28.6

MADD FR/FS 155....waist 25.7..........nose.......29.4

Prior AMF 155....waist 24.6.........nose........30.0

I'm inviting a polite discourse on the comparitive virtues and / or weaknesses of these boards and any other custom carving softboot boards you care to comment on.....I am using the 155 length as a median .....this is not a test for credit......imagine you are using a set of Catek Freerides with Salomon Malamutes boots:

Donek Incline 155....waist 24.10 .......nose.......28.6

MADD FR/FS 155....waist 25.7..........nose.......29.4

Prior AMF 155....waist 24.6.........nose........30.0

The Prior AMF has way too short a sidecut for really carving at speed and is a bit soft between the bindings (really made for park only).

As I've told you before in a couple of other posts. The Madd is much more damp than the Incline, but also has better pop out of the tail. Madd is also softer both longitudinally and torsionally, making it easier to handle in tight off-piste spaces and yet edgehold is on par or better than the Incline in my opinion.

Just to comment on the MFR and Reto. The MFR has a more plush ride in softer, chunky snow and is a little less of a workout in bumpy conditions than the Madd (both are still miles less of workout than the Incline). I would say the MFR's edgehold on ice is a less than the Madd.

Reto is an excellent board, but it basically has one speed - FAST. It is a little bit stiffer and has a longer sidecut (Madd is a very mellow flex), it just screams down the mountain carving everything in sight. It has a snappy tail that gives you TONS of pop for big ollies and in-air edge changes. Edgehold is probably better than the stock Madds (I would saw it's a dead heat between the Reto and the CFB Madds). Reto is still powder and tree friendly... just a bit less so than the Madd.

I still ride park quite a bit, so I like the Madd's better slow/medium speed handling (Reto is a little sluggish at slow speeds), but if you only speed position is full throttle, the Reto is a great board.