Note to New Members ×

Last time riding softies

kirtap

I went out to our local hill yesterday becuase we had just gotten about 15 inches of snow. I took out the softies and on my 4th run or so, my nose folded. I was on my way in to change my bindings, so after I fell, I got up and went to the workbench. When I tried to strap back in, it hurt too much to go back up. I went to the doctor, and I broke my 5th metatarsal in my left foot. Last year, I broke the same bone in my right foot playing soccer, and had a pin put in becuase it wouldn't heal. This time, I'm holding off on the surgery to see if it heals by itself.

I knew hardboots were safer....

Everyone have a good rest of the season. I'm going to school next year in CO so hopefully I'll make it out to a few days of SES.

Guest pcogan

took a carving board out at loveland today and after

3 runs switched to a soft boot / all mountain board

set up.

it was too soft to carve aggressive turns on plates. sure, i could

have stayed on plates, but it would not have been pleasant

on wind-affected, discontinuous powder, chopped up

powder, regular ol' powder, etc, whereas the soft set up

is able to handle a variety of conditions well

everyone has his or her own tastes -- mine is plates for

carving, soft set up for everything else.

Sorry to hear about your foot. I do agree with you that hard boots definately protect your lower leg, ankle and foot area better than soft boots do but don't give up on the softies so quick. Things happen dude.
I agree with jtslalom... while a hardboot offers a little bit more protection, it in no way protects you from breaking a bone in your foot or ankle. The very famous Bruce Varsava of Coiler snowboards broke his ankle stuffing his nose as well.

Just saying that the injury came from burying the nose and crashing... not because someone was wearing softies.

ok, so it was a little harsh to say it was the last time EVER that I will ride softboots. I'll obviously continue riding it for powder..that one day I get a season...and when I'm out with some new boarders trying to help them learn.