Note to New Members ×

Banff Feb 28-Mar 5

bartron

Hey folks, I'll be in Banff this week, landing on Tuesday and leaving the following Tuesday.

I bought lift tickets for 5 days and I was planning riding Wed-Fri, Sun, Mon -- skipping Saturday to avoid crowds. I'll be at Sunshine on Wed and probably most of the days. I will spend at least one day at Lake Louise, though I haven't decided which day.

I'll be riding with Allee on the weekend, but we haven't decided when...yet.

So if anyone else wants to hook up on the hill, feel free to pull me over or call me (e-mail me and I'll send you my phone number). I'll be wearing a white jacket with bright orange sleeves and shoulders, black Sims pants and a grey Uvex helmet.

I haven't decided which days I'll be hardbooting and which I'll be softbooting -- I'll let the conditions dictate that. :)

I hope that wasn't too vague. :lol:

'later...

Hey Bartron ... I see you found the bulletproof approaching the Morrissey chair at Sun Peaks last weekend, but isn't Morrissey a blast??

It sounds like there's going to be a few hardbooters at Louise on Sunday. Sunday suits me better because I have a pub crawl to go to Saturday, and if I ride on Saturday I'll fall asleep in my beer. Whereas Sunday, the mountain air will be good for the hangover.

Anyone else up for 10am at Louise on Sunday? We could maybe meet at the foot of the Glacier Express chair ... race boards are pretty easy to spot in a lineup...

Hey Bartron ... I see you found the bulletproof approaching the Morrissey chair at Sun Peaks last weekend,

(with a Paul Hogan accent) You call that bulletproof ? :) Seriously though, in the east we call that hardpacked. But yeah, I did find it. It's quite a shock when you just finished coming down in nice soft powder.

but isn't Morrissey a blast??

Yeah, I had a great time on it. I didn't venture on those black diamonds, though. Did you ? They looked to icy and bumpy for the steepness.

Going up the poma lift was an interesting experience. That's the first time I saw a poma lift or even a T-bar that did a right turn !

Anyone else up for 10am at Louise on Sunday? We could maybe meet at the foot of the Glacier Express chair

Fine with me. See you then !

'later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello <<first post>> !

I'll be in Banff from 2/27-3/2, learning to carve a snowboard (hopefully) while the wife and son ski. I'm a middleaged longboard skater who's spent only 3 days on the snow so I'd doubt I'd be much fun for you to ride with, but I'd be pleased to meet up and say cheers, share a beer . . .

Also, I'll be looking to hire an instructor for some lessons. Are either of you qualified to teach?

I'd greatly any suggestions you might have like, which mountain would be the best for me start out at, etc.

Jim

Hey Jim, are you going to be here the end of March? Your dates say Feb 27 to March 2, but if it's March 27 I will be around, most likely at Sunshine as the snow is better there later in the season.

Let me know. I can maybe give you some pointers later in the day when my legs have given up on me. And if you want a carving board to ride, I can bring one of my spares for you to play on.

Hey Jim, are you going to be here the end of March? Your dates say Feb 27 to March 2, but if it's March 27 I will be around, most likely at Sunshine as the snow is better there later in the season.

Let me know. I can maybe give you some pointers later in the day when my legs have given up on me. And if you want a carving board to ride, I can bring one of my spares for you to play on.

DOH! -- yes March 27-April 2.

Any pointers would be great. Re equipment, I'd love to try anything, but I'll be renting. It's not likely that I'll be able to rent hardboot stuff, is it? Should I even try? I've only ridden softies.

Let me know closer to the time. If we can set up a date and time I'll bring a spare board and bindings, it's up to you as to whether you want to try it out or not. If you want to get a feel for it, you could rent some ski boots and give it a shot.

Otherwise I'd be happy to be up on a green trail with you giving you some pointers. I'm no instructor but I can pass on some of the things that made a difference for me. If you wanted to go out with a regular instructor in the morning and meet up in the afternoon for some "carve specific", that would work too.

Sunshine is a fabulous hill to learn on. Lots of wide mellow green runs to play on for beginners. You'll love it!

• 2 weeks later...
Let me know closer to the time. If we can set up a date and time I'll bring a spare board and bindings, it's up to you as to whether you want to try it out or not. If you want to get a feel for it, you could rent some ski boots and give it a shot.

Otherwise I'd be happy to be up on a green trail with you giving you some pointers. I'm no instructor but I can pass on some of the things that made a difference for me. If you wanted to go out with a regular instructor in the morning and meet up in the afternoon for some "carve specific", that would work too.

Sunshine is a fabulous hill to learn on. Lots of wide mellow green runs to play on for beginners. You'll love it!

That's a very fine offer. I could plan to meet up with you at Sunshine on Thursday or Friday. I'll PM you my cellphone number.