Note to New Members ×

The more I read, The harder it is to ride

powell1.8

It seems like the more I read about good form the more my riding suffers. Cross over, cross under, angulate, inclinate, drive the knees, hands off the snow, ect... I used to just go ride, now I think I think to much. I still feel good about my riding, but there is just so much info.

Does anybody else feel overwhelmed with info sometimes. I am hoping I am doing myself some good by learning what works better for me and against me, and that eventually my style will emerge better for having taken the time to experiment on the hill.

That's funny! I've often felt the same. It's amazing the amount of contradictory information I've read on this forum. That's not to say the info is incorrect but it sure can be confusing at times. More than one way to skin the proverbial cat, I suppose. I'd have to say the most straight forward and useful information I've read about carving has been over on Scott Firestone's site, The Carver's Almanac. You only get one opinion over there! :biggthump

http://www.alpinecarving.com/

and then ride some more.

Practice makes perfect. heard that before?

as for pics

find some that show what you want to achieve, print them and adorn your fridge, workplace or wherever for that daily visual reminder.

I had a pic of JJ Anderson carving hard posted on my fridge a few winters back.

Worked for me

and if you can ride with better riders and be coached that's the best.

recreational racing helped develop my riding in a hurry too.

like Jack said baby steps and don't think too much.

Snowboarding to me is all about playing with the board. Don't get caught up in questions like "where should my shoulder aligned when riding?". Just try different alignments and see what works for you. Play with the board by moving your body different ways and seeing what you like and don't like. Don't get stuck reading about technique and right and wrong ways to ride, just figure out what works for you.

I strongly believe that I learned to snowboard watching snowboard videos. In like 1990 Nitro released a promotion video which was the only video I had ever seen with someone really carving, with hardboots. Whoever it was I remember them being pretty smooth. I watched that movie humdreds of times. Wish I still had it. Anyway, at the time I was the only person I knew that was really into carving, more than tricks, so that movie was my only reference. It helped more than anything I have ever done.