Note to New Members ×

No wonder Ford is in trouble

C5 Golfer

And the 3 Jeeps that made the list...the Trailhawk got one (don't remember for what) and the Wrangler Rubicon got "Most Awesome Offroad". Can't remember the third one...

Where do you see that? I took the list off the 2007 North American Auto Show and those were the only awards they mentioned. I thought the list was short so help me out on the full list if you can Justin. Even the Jeep web site does not mention anything - being an old jeep fan I was/am curious

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to contribute to the "nostalgia" thread... :rolleyes: 4 years ago I had a 1st gen RangeRover for a while.... it was an 88 or 90, don't know for sure... The truck was in miserable condition (it wasn't mine and the owner really didn't care), but god I loved that thing... As ugly and bulky as it was, it was running... point! Wasn't asking for anything but gas and occasional oil change... and it was running through anything and everywhere, took so much beating - any new truck would fall apart only ofter 1/50 of what that piece of British garbage was taking...

I don't know about current generation, but 2nd gen RangeRover was absolute rubbish spending more time in a garage than on the road and generating 3 and 4 digit bills most of the time... (at least the highest trim level models with air suspension)

B.t.w. when I had that Rover, for a couple of weeks I was able to compare it with a 2001 Beemer 528... Sure thing it was so much cooler... but the one I truly miss is the old stinky RangeRover... :biggthump Can get one in really good condition for really cheap nowadays, but at the current pace of life, feeding an old-school V8 isn't an option... :mad:

P.S. Rover is still running b.t.w. Beemer, got in a minor accident and got totaled... :biggthump

What we all need is a 1979 International Scout.

Read this:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Mechanics_Tale/Mechanics_Tale_What_Real_Men_Drive.S281.A9647.html

I'm of the firm belief that cars today are way too complex for their own good.

Good call. Computers were the end of all good cars. Scouts are killer, but I want a late sixties bronco.

400 HP and rear wheel drive. Another negative I think is when the windows are down for a sunny drive, your elbow is above your ear if you like the elbow rested on the window sill. Ouch!

Why do you think that rear wheel drive and 400hp is negative?

This is common wrong idea by average driver.

The fact is that every car is dengerous in certain situations. i can give examples where drivers do stupid thing with fron wheel drive and 4x4 and go into troublke while in the same situations you can get away with rear wheel drive... and the other way around.

From the 2007 Auto Show North American

Odd no european autos or Fords ( I know Jaguar is a Ford ) on the list. All asian except for the two from GM and the Jag

Winners were also announced in the following categories:

“Most Athletic” – Pickup Truck of the Year: Chevrolet Silverado

“Most Sex Appeal” – Sports Car of the Year: Jaguar XK

“Most Dependable” – Sedan of the Year: Toyota Camry

“Most Respected” – Luxury Car of the Year: Lexus LS 460

“Most Compatible” – Minivan of the Year: Hyundai Entourage

“Most Spirited” – Entry Level Car of the Year: MAZDASPEED3

“Most Versatile” – Crossover of the Year: Mazda CX-7

“Most Resourceful” – SUV of the Year: GMC Yukon

That must be very respectable Consumer Report in the USA. I laugh at many reviews they make there... especially when reviews are based on biased and uneducated human base. Some editors who test sometimes redicule themselves. Example of that was several years ago a freak who writes automotive articles, but he does not understand principles of race/sport car and he blamed BMW M3 (330hp and hellish torque for regular driver... even bigger in European version) for oversteering when he probably does not have a bit of idea how to apply throttle and traction at high powered cars (I bet he never heard of circle of traction diagram).

Funny you say that I own a 90 model Toyota Cressida and I swear this thing is possessed by a demon god from hell on PMS...

It's never major stuff... just creaks, squealing brakes, an auto transmission that has absolutely no idea what it's supposed to be doing (Clumsy) the list goes on... and on.....

But she'll start first time every time... I service everything on that one..

My other car an Evo 6 Makinen Edition is just something else... I bought it as a weekend car for cruising (at Mach .98 :eplus2: ) and that is the most wonderful piece of machinery I have ever had the honour of owning..

Servicing costs next to nothing and It hammers .... HARD

I'll never grow up .... EVER... though the G/F loves the Evo.... No-one drives it except me....

Nice set of wheels I mean that Evo... not the Toyota :)

Good luck with it. I begin liking them too.

I was just getting ready to post a long article regarding coil springs vs. leaf springs. I thought to myself what does this have to do with the original post so I just hit the delete button

And good that you did because I came across many more types of suspension than those two (yes there are but not many seem to know them except some mechanics). It would be hell to talk about if I took that book to analyze here on the forum :D

Justin, --Contrary to popular belief, the GP did not stand for "General Purpose.'' GP was a Ford engineering term, "G'' for a government contract vehicle and "P'' for 80-inch-wheelbase.

The MB was the second revison of the first Jeep of that series which was called the MA, so it is Revision B - which became MB.

Dont forget the MB and the GP were 2 different vehicles.

Have a good one, wish my bike would get here!

Unfortunatelly that "belief" (?) is popular because programs on Discovery channel tell exactly that GP stands for General Purpose.. and years of pronounciation generated word Jeep. So I guess it is about who tells the story (just like that Wright brothers were first in the flight ;)

They were sold in the US in the mid-90's. They had to stop because

Land Rover wouldn't put airbags in them. Or at least that was the reason that was made public. Used ones for sale aren't hard to find, but they aren't cheap.

ML320 CDI

I would want to see "airbagged" terrain car actually going into terrain that Defender was capable of. I bet that many do not know what "the terrain" means It ain't exactly what they call "offroad" in the USA :D ... and i have never heard of car that would require airbag sensor to be mounted on drivers forehead.

Why do you think that rear wheel drive and 400hp is negative?

This is common wrong idea by average driver.

The fact is that every car is dengerous in certain situations. i can give examples where drivers do stupid thing with fron wheel drive and 4x4 and go into troublke while in the same situations you can get away with rear wheel drive... and the other way around.

Reason ??? Think about the Bentley Continental GT with its superb styling and grace and POWER - max POWER .. 6-litre, 12 cylinder, twin-turbocharged, engine with more than 500bhp driving all four wheels through a paddle-operated, six speed automatic gearbox, the Continental GT offers true supercar performance. Now if one were to difine an Automobile - The Continental GT would IMHO would be near the top.

Unfortunatelly that "belief" (?) is popular because programs on Discovery channel tell exactly that GP stands for General Purpose.. and years of pronounciation generated word Jeep. So I guess it is about who tells the story (just like that Wright brothers were first in the flight ;)

I dunno what to tell you - been a jeep owner / enthusiast for 40 years. But you can read these..

I think the Discovery dudes ride Land Rovers.. :AR15firin

http://www.fourwheeler.com/thehistoryof/129_9709_jeepposter/

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_www_jeeps_ford_gp.php

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Poster/GP.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willys_MB