Note to New Members ×

Sweet Onboard Cam!

Guest The Cheef

Guest The Cheef

My race coach just got one of these! Im thinking of buying one and using it for snowboarding obviously and also karting. I have a race kart and have always thought it would be rad to have a helmet cam! Also check out the little interactive demo they have on the page. Heres the url:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=6&scid=14&pid=709

water proof so no worries about possible water damage from snow flying up etc. Multiple ways of attachment, im sure you could rig it up to put it on the nose of your board or something cool like that too! You'd have to buy a larger SD card to hold more video. My coach says his records for about 50 min with a 2GB SD card. So im guessing the whole setup with camera, SD card, and shipping would probably come out to around $215... not to shabby...

Sean

Looks cool. 30 frames per second, is that average, above or below average for a videocam. Obviously not comparing it toa a hand hel videocam. I saw the sample vid they had on the site, clarity is great but it seemed to jump around a lot. Could have been a bumpy ride...but I'd suspect a snowboard to be even bumpier. Of course strapped to a helmut it would probably be fine.

J

I read some very poor reviews of this camera, from the quality of the video, to not-backlit (and thus hard to read) display, to the straps being lacking in size and quality as well. No personal experience with it, but it did look cool so I read up a bit on it.

tom.

hmm... the vid wont load on my compy... I'll ask my coach what he thinks of its quality and such next time i see him.

I did some research! 24 fps seems to be pretty standard... heres some more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

It didn't on mine either, I reloaded the page (F5) and clicked the ink again and it worked.

J

My race coach just got one of these! Im thinking of buying one and using it for snowboarding obviously and also karting. I have a race kart and have always thought it would be rad to have a helmet cam! Also check out the little interactive demo they have on the page. Heres the url:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=6&scid=14&pid=709

water proof so no worries about possible water damage from snow flying up etc. Multiple ways of attachment, im sure you could rig it up to put it on the nose of your board or something cool like that too! You'd have to buy a larger SD card to hold more video. My coach says his records for about 50 min with a 2GB SD card. So im guessing the whole setup with camera, SD card, and shipping would probably come out to around $215... not to shabby...

Sean

For karting you could use some cams for car racing. To be honest I used regular miniDV camcorder hard mounted in my car when I went to autocrosses and to race track. Well that is assuming you are not talking about dirt karting where you would ned some protection.

In karting you also have to consider G-Forces that are higher than in car or on snowboard and that may impact mechanic parts so this little thing with SD card might be excelent option.

BTW. I went to Go-Kart track last Friday for the first time. I am still sore but I made 300 laps and got my racing license :) They are opening track next town so I might be joining league and do it after work almost daily :D

Guest The Cheef

yeah! karting is so great! Theres a guy in my local kart club who raced cars for ten years and he said, "Bang for your buck, karting is the best racing out there." Its great fast fun and the competetion is fantastic! And with a relatively low cost in comparison to racing actual cars... Are you going to buy your own kart?

Sean