Note to New Members ×

Riding the Tail During Cross Under Turns...

NMU Alpine Boarder

Ok, every time I execute a series of a few "Cross Under" Turns, I end up riding the tail of the board... It's so bad, I'll end up on my rear if I continue and make 2-3 more turns... I know this is hard to diagnose without pics or a video, but anyone have any pointers?

I tried to correct this myself yesterday, but all I did was bend at the waist in an effort to get my weight forward :smashfrea

If you are doing a cross under turn, you are basically moving your feet under you as you move straight down the fall line. If you are getting in the back seat you are moving your feet ahead of you in the transition. Try not to think about moving your hips forward, because then it will be hard to do a cross under turn. Think about pulling your feet back under your center in the transition.

One thing that might work for you is to try making cross-under transitions while fairly upright rather than crouched and low. This will make pulling the legs up much easier and you'll soon get the feel of that motion.

After mastering the pull and place technique, you can start to do it faster and with a more compact body.