Note to New Members ×

Park City Report

skategoat

Just got back from Park City.

Rode PCMR on Day One. Lots of variety and lots of space with nary a line-up. However, as Carvedog mentioned, the layout is weird and I would say, not boarder friendly. The runs alternate between very steep pitches and very flat run-outs. I was looking for open bowls but most were closed due to lack of snow. When I did venture up to Jupiter Bowl, I regretted it. The bottom of Jupiter is a flat area that is a total killer on a snowboard. I thought I was going to suffer a coronary when I clipped out, tried to skate and got caught in snow up to my thighs. I ended up lieing flat on my board and pushing myself along with my hands until I got to some slope.

Day Two, my buddies wanted to go to Snowbird. Piled into the car at 9:00AM, drove about half-way and then we heard the canyon road was closed. Back we went to PCMR. Wasted half a day.

If I did it again, I would take a soft freeride setup to PCMR. On both my Volkl RT and my Coiler AM, I was getting tossed around big-time by the bumps and loose snow. It was exhausting. Plus, I think the best terrain is accessed only by hiking - a lot easier in softies.

As for carving terrain, I thought the best was off King Con chair. Lots of advanced intermediate terrain and a consistent pitch.

Day Three, my buddies wanted to SKI at Deer Valley. So I rented planks and actually had a good time. Too damn bad they don't allow snowboards because DV is carve-i-liscous. Grooming is impeccable. Food was unreal. Best food I've ever had at a ski resort. Hang out apres-ski in the lounge at Stein Erickson Lodge and you'll feel like Dean Martin in his Rat-Packer heydey.

Park City itself is a blast. Lots of great bars and (expensive) restaurants. Friendly locals. Enjoyed The Corner Store at PCMR base, the bar at Prime, The Spur, Kristauf's Martini Bar. Taste of Saigon is to be avoided. Lousy service and bad food that is nauseatingly over-seasoned with ginger.

One piece of advice about nightlife in PC - get an early start, a lot of restaurants close before 10:00 and the bars all shut down at 1AM.

Phil:

I will return. The tasting I got last week just makes me want to drink the full glass. I have to try Canyons, Snowbird and other resorts. Having some experience with the snow and terrain will make my next visit much more enjoyable.

I was not at all disappointed by the snow coverage given that it was early season. After all, until today, we had none in the East. Most of the closed runs would've been too difficult for me anyways.

I envy you living in Park City. Great snow, great mountains, great people. Did I mention that the tap water was the best I've ever tasted? It made me laugh that the restaurants kept pimping the Pellegrino when the stuff that comes out of the taps is like champagne.

Henry

Guest Tim Tuthill

Henry: Interesting view? I was there last year for the firstime in a long time. First time on my alpine set up. Rode all over with Dave and co. Real fun! King Kong is the best for carving! Go to finelineclub.com for pics of that day. Not bad for a 63 year old???