Note to New Members ×

Binding angles for kids - a little OT

Guest thomas_m

Guest thomas_m

New member here. I've been surfing for a good while but I'm relatively new to snowboarding - brand new to carving but I'm hooked since it is similar to some of what I look for in wave riding.

The question at hand... Taking my 6 year old to the mountain for his first boarding session tomorrow. I've gotten him a rig well suited to his size but I'm wondering how to set his bindings. I was thinking about 6/21 since he'll necessarily be doing a lot of side slipping. Anyone think I should go more relaxed like 0/15 or more forward like 10/25? Reason why?

It's easy to experiment on myself but it's hard to get feedback from him being 6 and all. I'm mostly concerned with him being comfortable and having a good time.

TIA,

Thomas

I have two young snowboarders (8 and 11). Both kids skied for 2 years before trying snowboarding. Skiing is just more kid friendly for so many reasons.

If you're extremely patient and determined, allow me to offer a couple of tidbits of advice:

- don't even think about getting in any riding yourself. You'll be too busy chasing, picking up and dusting off the kid.

- consider taking the kid to a local toboggan hill. Less hassle, less crowds, less driving and you can quit at any time without wasting a lift ticket.

Good luck.

Oh, and about binding angles - doesn't matter much but I always recommend 15 degrees front, 8 degrees back for the beginner. Believe me on this - binding angles will be the last of your worries.

Guest thomas_m
Originally posted by skategoat

I have two young snowboarders (8 and 11). Both kids skied for 2 years before trying snowboarding. Skiing is just more kid friendly for so many reasons.

If you're extremely patient and determined, allow me to offer a couple of tidbits of advice:

- don't even think about getting in any riding yourself. You'll be too busy chasing, picking up and dusting off the kid.

- consider taking the kid to a local toboggan hill. Less hassle, less crowds, less driving and you can quit at any time without wasting a lift ticket.

Good luck.

Oh, and about binding angles - doesn't matter much but I always recommend 15 degrees front, 8 degrees back for the beginner. Believe me on this - binding angles will be the last of your worries.

Since he's 6, the lift ticket is only $8 at my local hill, no big deal there. He's signed up for a couple hour private lesson so my wife and I will be rotating between video duty and runs on a closeby lift. The learning area has a very gentle slope with a 'magic carpet' conveyor belt thingy so if he's not ready for the short green, he can still get plenty of 'runs'.

He's been riding my Carveboard in big flattish parking lots for the last couple years so he already knows some of the dynamics. He shows no interest in skiing but talks constantly about snowboarding (and surfing) so I didn't want to force him to ski for a couple years before boarding. It's probably because we've been draggin him to surfing breaks since he was a couple months old. My biggest fear is his lack of fear...

Also, my 59 year old mother will simultaneously be taking her first skiing lesson which should make for an interesting family video as well :->

Thanks for the input,

T.