Note to New Members ×

Extreme boarding

tahoetrencher

Yesterday I rode in one of the top three most extreme conditions of my days.

I realized right away that it wasn't going to be about the carve- it was going to be about survival. The other two times I wimped after an hour or two. Yesterday, I went from 8:59a to 1:30p with two stops, performing required tasks (throw a "tree-P", light a lighter, etc.) just to see if I could. Maybe my brain froze.

It was -12 F(ambient) at the top of Dipper (Heavenly) and about 2 F at the top of Sky. With gusts to 50, Skyline trail was life threatening. The visibilty was from nil to 40 feet with the occasional hole in the clouds.

Lessons learned:

The snow at this temp is a perfect hybrid between sand and velcro- no glide.

Your nose completely stops functioning somewhere between 2 and -5 F

Saliva really does keep the goggs good

Continual white-out scarving of a 186 PureRace leads to significant lactic retention in the front quad

Beer is required ( see required tasks above)

Some things are more fun to talk about

I talked myself out of it on thursday it was -12 at the summit with a 20 mph wind on it.

today was warmer -3 and no wind. totally hero snow with a few wind glazed exceptions. IT was worth the trip but I have lost contact with my face:rolleyes:

the base thing is a real pain in the butt its like running on velcro. I don't even know if they make a wax for subzero