Note to New Members ×

Silver Mtn Kellogg Idaho ??

bjvircks

Does anyone know anything about this resort east of Spokane in the Idaho panhandle? My local 'hill' in Iowa will honor their season pass and Silver Mtn will honor my Sundown Mtn pass. Since Sundown has shut down for a while I've been considering heading out there for some 'free' riding. The Silver Mtn website says they have 2,200 vert, great snow and nice runs (don't they all say that). Lodging seems scarce.

Had breakfast up at the lodge, a few weeks ago (Kellogg is the halfway stop, from Seattle to Bozeman, to visit the in-laws at Christmas). Nice resort, nothing spectacular. There's a (world's longest) gondola ride up and back into the hills to the resort. The gondola building is right next to the resort's hotel, and there's a cheaper best-western kinda place down the street a half-block. You could stay anywhere in town, though, and just drive over to the gondola -- the town's not that large.

-jon-

YOu get on the gondola in town and its a small town. So lodging is anything in Kellog. Its good terrain and good snow most years and this year the northwest is deep. you should be golden but check the ski report online regularly to see how its going. ITs only 2-3 hours from big mtn in montana if things aren't great when you get there and its even closer to schweitzer basin at sand point idaho so you'd have a backup plan.

Is this the same carver that was at Kirkwood last season during the Prior demo day?

Yes, Jim... same bozo. Good to hear from you. All is well? How's the surfing been?

I'm trying to save some $$ by not getting out much this season. Good thing the weather is helping me to this end. The reason I'm looking at Silver Mtn is the season pass here in Iowa that is not getting any use but is honored at Silver. I can get a frequent flier ticket to Spokane and catch a shuttle to/from airport so I wouldn't rent a car. Now the last big $ item is lodging. The town is so small it seems most lodging must be 'mom & pop' places, not big chains marketing thru travel sites or web presence. I'm not about to spend over $100/night at the resort for just myself. Other option I know of is Baymont for about $74/nt.

Any ideas anybody?

I thought that was you. Surfing has been unusually good with storms heading to Washington/Oregon after sending waves to California.

Tahoe still does not have enough coverage to take my new board out. So you are heading to the right place. Don't forget to work on some gorilla legs to withstand multiple days of carving.

Thanks, Jon... someone at the resort 'anonamously' told me that there is a 'mom & pop' motel a couple of blocks away from the gondola base for around $35/nt but I didn't get a name/phone of the place. Gonna dig around some more today. Do you recall if the resort's lodging was in town or on the hill?

Brad

There's nothing on the hill, except a day lodge in which the gondola ride ends. The only two places I know within walking distance of the gondola are the Baymont and the Morning Star Lodge. There's another couple right off the freeway, same exit, maybe a mile away from the gondola.

You might call over to the Internet Sales guys at Dave Smith Motors, and see what they have to say. They get a lot of folks flying into town to pickup their trucks, and should know every motel in town. If they're making a trip to spokane, they might hook you up with a ride, too.

-jon-

curious...is the long gondola ride the only way to get to the hill?

the following is from a PM from oldsnowboards:

Great ski area. Used to be called "Jackass" , the road to it was so knarly

that they put in a huge / long Gondola. In the middle of what was big time silver mining country so the landscape is somewhat "Nuked". Not that far to

Cordilane (SP) and then on to Schwietzer (SP) if you get bored. Go for it!!

<!-- -->

Well boys... I'm gonna git 'er done. I gots me a plane ticket ($10) and a bed ($38/nt). Now I gots to git me a ride from/to Spokane for minimal coin. Maybe dem truck boys might work out!

uh oh...you posted a PRIVATE MESSAGE! post ghost is gonna be furious!

go tell the FNG:D

Well folks, it's a go. I've got the whole works lined up. Now to tell the girlfriend I'm bailing the night before Valentine's Day :eek:

Now I need to figure out what boards to take. Any tips on usual conditions?