Note to New Members ×

Whoah! Surf Rodz is up to something

Jack M

The thing that sets Indian School apart from every other place is the smooth transitions. Most other ditches I have rode in had more angled transitions. Also these are the small walls-the upper portion has about 5 more feet of walls on either side. This is a fast ditch too if you want it to be or you can just pump the walls and control your speed if you don't want to bomb it.

If you're ever passing through it's definately worth looking into!

The first annual Indian School Ditch Banked slalom contest anyone???

The first annual LEGENDARY ;) Indian School Ditch Banked slalom

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo. good idea! :1luvu:

Already done folks..it's called the "sandia all around challenge" and it had a small review (not big enough IMO) in the latest Concrete Wave...BTW Read Mofo's article if you pick up the Mag

Already done folks..it's called the "sandia all around challenge" and it had a small review (not big enough IMO) in the latest Concrete Wave...BTW Read Mofo's article if you pick up the Mag

When is the contest? How long is the course in the Indian School ditch? I ask because I can't get CW mag around here.

I don't think there is a race in Indian School during the Sandia All Around Challenge. I think there is a seperate event called the Indian School Outlaw Race or something like that but not 100% sure.

During the Sandia All Around they do give you unlimited shuttles to the top of Indian School sometime during the event.

Most of the races are on the backside of Sandia Mountain (Sandia Crest Road). I know the slalom and downhill races are there. The banked slalom event is at another ditch called "Bear" which is in SW ABQ. Bear has higher walls but is much shorter and doesn't have as smooth transitions. There is a in town race and other park events as well.

Silverfish's Coverage of the event

Schedule of the 2006 event

Note the "Ditch play (or recovery time)". I'm pretty sure that's when they did the Indian School shuttling.

indianschool2005_02.gif

Outlaw_Loose_Screw.jpg

“On April 22nd, many of the world’s best all around skateboarders converged upon Albuquerque, New Mexico to test their mettle at the Indian School Outlaw banked slalom race. It was 25 invite-only skaters flying down the mile-and-a-quarter, banked, flash flood arroyo (ditch) in the premier Outlaw race in skateboarding. Money, trophies, reputation, and physical well being were all at stake.

Kenny “Nature Boy” Mollica, the winning-est skateboard racer in modern history and future legend, added the most significant victory to his palmares cementing his reputation as a true all around skater that can handle the 40+mph banks of the Indian School Arroyo. Nature Boy put an exclamation point on his win by being the first and only skater to ever complete the course in less than 140 seconds (on both runs!). His 137.41 winning pass bested 2nd place by almost 5 second, unheard of. The man from Ohio was not to be denied!”

Kenny told Mike of NiNjA Bearings, “I did reach Absolute Speed in more ways than one, thank you very much! I really kicked ass. NiNjA took me to the bank dude… paid for my trip. Thanks a lot buddy, you’re a good man, you (NiNjA) have great bearings and I’ll keep riding ‘em.”

Ok so enough thread highjacking....lol

Sandia Ski Area sponsors it so likely the summertime. Indian school ditch and Rio Bravo are both about 8 miles long. Though for the contest I know they did 74 cones which was quad killing according to all the reports I've read and they did it in Rio Bravo. My guess is around a mile or so.

Oh yes and if this style of skating (basically everything except for the little kid flippy ****) appeals to you read Silverfish