Note to New Members ×

Snow Summit on Jan. 9, 2007

AaronG

If anyone is interested in joining me I am planning on a trip to Summit on the above date. I hope some of you fellow SoCal'ers can join me. I hope I will be rid of this death cough that I suddenly got today, feeling fine yesterday and WHAM!! Not the old George Michael group reference.

Hey Aaron, how's the ankle? I will be heading up to Mammoth on Tues with my fam, and will be there thru Friday or Sat. Your welcome to come join us at the house, there is plenty of room for you and your pops or another person. Hope all is well.

GC

ps. I'm ready to make you a deal on the 186---no shippping since your in the area!

Guest StonedRider

Whaddup... Just signed up here. I don't have a slalom board, but I can still bomb everything on a Burton Cruz. I go to Bear and Summit about 3 times a week. If you see someone wearing a black jacket, tan pants, with a 2-ended snowboard that's tan, green and orange and a couple stickers and sitting on Palmer plates, that would be me, just say what's up. I've seen a few people at Summit with straight boards and hard boots, but none of them were interested in racing. Jan 9th is a weekday, so most likely I will be riding.

I'm curious about slalom boards... I wear a size 13 snowboard boot, am I already eliminated from being able to ride one of those narrow sticks even with plates?

Stoned Rider, we are not all interested in racing, just because we ride slalom, giant slalom boards we are out for carving generally. We make carved turns down the mtn which keeps our speed in check. We are hardly ever out "to race" unless it is in a marked off area designed for racing. Sure you may win in a straightline race to the bottom but most of the posters here on this message board would rather carve to the bottom of the mtn.

I'll keep my eye out for you though ;) ;)

You can still ride hardboots with size 13 feet, you will just have to look for a wider board, possibly 21-23 cm wide, you would just have to ride steeper angles to keep your toe and heels from dragging in the snow.

GAry, thanks for the invite, I will have to check to see if it's feasible. I know that i have some appts next week on mon and wed, I just have to see if I can reschedule them. I will let you know.

The ankle is feeling good, looking good also. I'm on my way now to see if I can abuse it on the Volleyball court again.

I wll let you know about the Prior, it definitely sounds interesting and tempting.

It's times like this that I hate work with all these deadlines and stuff and pretty much being everyone's bitch (i'm way down at the bottom of the ladder. in fact i'm still on the floor and have yet to take a step on the ladder).

In any case, I'm gonna give my ankle till the next weekend (13th or so - i've quite a bit of vacation days too now :eplus2: ) to heal up. I'm still limping a bit, althought that's probably a combo of the ankle brace and injury. Glad yours is doing better.

StonedRider: i used to straightline it quite a bit before. then i picked up an all-mountain carving board and figured out what that was about -- 10x more fun and safer too. i had a few near misses with people straightlining it (not the smartest thing).

BW, glad to hear that your ankle is healing also. Hopefully you will not be off the board for too long. The snow will still be here in a few more weeks so don't push the comeback. YOu are probably lots younger than I so your recovery time takes a bit shorter than that of the 43 year old geez.

We'll see you on the slopes soon enough.

If you ride at Summit, look out for SToned Rider!!

Guest StonedRider

When I talk about racing, I'm not talking about just going straight down everything. I used to bomb down Geronimo, and eventually I figured that the body can only handle so much adrenaline before you do something to kill yourself. They would burn my season pass if I tried that at Summit. I'm talking about designating a set of runs, using honest 5-10 foot carves down the vertical stuff, straight on the flat stuff, down to the designated lift, nothing too crazy. I want to see how a good slalom board compares to my 161 Cruzer, which is just an average freeride board at best. I have a HUGE 170 Rossi wide board that I haven't tried yet, needs to be edged and waxed before I use it. That thing is like a 1/2 inch thick surf board, when I stand on the deck with size 13 boots, my toes barely hang off.

Know of any places in Big Bear that demos slalom boards? I'm dying to try one out, especially now that Geronimo has opened up. Also, how do they handle deep powder? Is it a no-no to use them in the back country?

How about fishtail or swallowtail board demos?