Note to New Members ×

Tahoe Tips and Ideas

Mike Doyle

Guest Randy S.

Come check ous out at TahoeCarvers.com

There are a bunch of us that carve. When you post over there, let us know where you are staying (north or south shore). I'll be at Alpine or Squaw on Sunday (Squaw is hosting the Jeep King of the Mountain - way cool). Alpine Meadows on Monday and the following weekend at Northstar for a Super G clinic and race.

There may be some folks up for weekday trips to Northstar, Squaw or Kirkwood. Again, check on TC. See you in Tahoe.

Guest Carveman

Hi Mike, Here are the mountains I'd recommend:

North Shore:

Northstar: Great grooming and a nice variety of carving runs, but rather crowded even on weekdays. Arrive at the parking lot by 8 and load on the Gondola when it starts running at 8:20 to maximize your uncrowded carving time. Avoid on weekends.

Mt. Rose: Steep carving runs, tics half-price on Tuesday. It's exposed so don't go on a windy day.

Squaw: I've never carved there but have consistently heard good reports.

Sugar Bowl: Nice carving, interesting terrain. $40 tickets weekdays.

Diamond Peak: Almost vacant on weekdays and a good place to hide out on weekends. About 4 good carving runs.

Homewood: Another uncrowded place, good intermediate carving runs. No high-speed chairs. $25 tickets weekdays.

South Shore:

Kirkwood: No high-speed chairs but worth checking out for the good carving runs. Probably the largest population of hard-booters of all the Tahoe mountains.

I understand next week is a holiday week for many schools... you know what that means.

North Shore Dining ideas:

Boulevard Cafe in Tahoe Vista.

Le Bistro in Incline.

Lone Eagle in Incline.

Big Water in Incline.

Soule Domain in Crystal Bay.

I'll be at Northstar or Diamond Peak most mornings.... Rob

Guest Randy S.

In addition to Rob's comments above (he's in NV), here's some add'l info:

Sugarbowl is $39 any day, just buy a voucher at any Safeway store in the area. Alpine Meadows is a great place if you like steeps or backcountry (although we may not have any fresh snow for you so you'll be on the groomers). Alpine will be $59 this Sat-Mon, but then $39 every day for the rest of the season. They limit ticket sales so the mountain is never crowded (but show up early on weekends if you want a good parking spot).

As Rob says, steer clear of Northstar on weekends. Squaw is a great place and you should ride it at least once while you are here. It will be crowded this weekend. Squaw is hosting the Jeep King of the Mountain Sunday so there will be some amazing hardbooters there (Chris Klug, Alex Maeir, etc.).

Eats in Truckee: Pianeta is good higher-end Italian. Pacific Crest (enter through Bar of America) is similarly good, or you can eat the same food at Bar of America and enjoy live tunes and good beer.

For Breakfast/Coffee in Truckee, try Wild Cherries (which also sells Sugarbowl passes) on Donner Pass Rd. For Breakfast/Coffee in Tahoe City, try Rosies or Syd's Bagelry.

Dinner in Tahoe City: Fiamma is great, but make a reservation. Avoid the Texas BBQ place, it sucks. Jake's on the Lake is pretty good.

High end: Plumpjack's at Squaw is awesome food and an incredible wine list, prices to match. It can be fun to ski during the day, have a few drinks in the village and then eat at PlumpJacks.

Many Thanks Randy & Rob. Well, were staying on the North side of the lake and I'm very grateful for the timely advice. Sounds like Diamond Peak would be a good idea for Sunday. I'd also like to try to get to Northstar at least once while we are there. Any differance in weekdays? Probably not. But I'd like to rub over there when I know some of you may be there. Thinking of heading down to Heavenlly on Tuesday or Wensday. Any comments on Sierra? I'm looking foward to getting out to your "Blue Heaven.":D

Hey, I'll probably be at Northstar on Tuesday. Maybe the rest of the week, too, depending on how crowded it is. If it is bad I will head to Squaw.

I'm the short Asian guy on the black Donek Freecarve or the red Swoard.

I like eating at Soul Sushi (I love the fact that you can order a crystal shrimp roll and a pulled pork sandwich in the same meal :) ) in Truckee and Lanza's (gigantic Italian food - i.e. 4 pounds of chicken parm as opposed to 12 ounces of veal scallopine) in King's Beach.

Mike, I just got back from Tahoe. Definitely try Homewood ($25, $20, 2nd day)and Kirkwood, we loved them. Alpine Meadows ($39) has some slopes which are still sunny at 4 pm. I found about 8 TahoeCarvers.com at Kirkwood last Sunday and also last Wednesday.

Restaurants? I always go to Gar Woods in Carnelian Bay.

Particularly good if you like powerboating history.

Had Brick

Thanks Ken & Had. More great advice. Getting ready to leave Michigan at 4:00est. Northstar could be a good plan for Tuesday. Probably head to Heavenlly for Wednesday then. Kirkwood on Friday?? Maybe SugarBowl on Monday. Lots of good eats ideas. I think your Garwoods may be the same group as back here as they started as same theme resteraunt here too. Many of those old boat lines started back in this area . Thanks again everyone.