Note to New Members ×

I need a G-suit!

EndUser

I had a great time carving last weekend. I linked so many high speed turns I found that whenever I stopped to rest and catch my breath I felt very light headed. At first I thought it was the addrenalin rush... I know it sounds funny, but I really think the g-forces are draining the blood from my head when I do so many turns like that. I was riding up hill at times, it felt so good. We need someone to make a g-suit for us carvers!!!:biggthump

The light-headedness and perhaps tingling of the hands and arms (I get this) is more likely due to hyperventilation.

I tend to coordinate my breathing with my carving, so the worst form of carving for this (for me at least) is aggressive cross-under.

Damn, but I love ending up at the base of the mountain feeling all tingly.

I definately feel it that way. I guess I've never really been "light in the head" but I definately get a little jelly legged due to adrenaline. Seems like if you're legs are strong enough to hold you from flyin through the bottom of your board your heart should be strong enough to pump to your head. The fighter pilots are held in by a seat and probably couldn't hold themselves up at those Gs. I could be wrong though, I haven't got my longboard yet, so I haven't really put down a turn that tight. Hopefully I'll have it in time to go Saturday.

Some rough calculations based on radius of turn and velocity yield accelerations around a few G's... maybe 3 or so. I'd think that'd be enough to pull blood away from your head. Fighter pilots wear a G-suit to keep the blood up in their body when pulling G's, so I don't see why it would be any different on a snowboard.

On a snowboard, your leg muscles are tensed, which is the mechanism used to drive blood flow upward from your legs. (Your heart doesn't pump blood out of your legs, only into them...valved veins are used in conjunction with muscle contractions to move blood upward to the torso.)

A fighter pilot, on the other hand, is not supporting their weight, flexing their legs constantly. They also need higher endurance, as they can't just stop when they have to.

I'd think that a G-suit would limit your mobility so much that you wouldn't be able to pull the Gs that you got the suit for...

It's because you're heavily exerting yourself, like going for a long sprint or swimming 3 laps without taking a breath; not from the blood being trapped in your legs. While yes, the blood will be drawn to your feet mid turn, it will rebound into your brain between turns. Besides, oxygenated blood is what keeps your muscles working, and a g-suit would keep said blood out of your legs, causing them to have difficulty functioning, so you wouldn't be able to pull the g's that you bought your ridiculously expensive and uncomfortable "g-suit" for.

Indeed, a little CO2 to the brain would cause lightheadedness too.

I was thinking, you might want to have your blood pressure checked. You may be healthy, but a little low on the blood pressure in combination with everything could cause something like that. Also keep some candybars with you so then on the lift you can have a quick pick-me-up and keep your blood-sugar level in the normal too.

I notice when I don't eat for a while I get real wobbly.. Not really tired, but worn out. Somethin sweet usually give me back a little energy. It's definately hard work snowboardin.

Indeed, a little CO2 to the brain would cause lightheadedness too.

I was thinking, you might want to have your blood pressure checked. You may be healthy, but a little low on the blood pressure in combination with everything could cause something like that. Also keep some candybars with you so then on the lift you can have a quick pick-me-up and keep your blood-sugar level in the normal too.

I notice when I don't eat for a while I get real wobbly.. Not really tired, but worn out. Somethin sweet usually give me back a little energy. It's definately hard work snowboardin.

Couldn't hurt to have a blood pressure checkup... I found a great way to get your blood pressure up... Find yourself on a perfectly groomed run with about 20-30 beginners around you and have to wait an hour for them to drain down!! LOL

Seriously though... Try to breath as you carve..

I breath out during the turns and breath in during the transitions.... if it gets too much I'll stop to have a break... It's funny though I remember reading something years ago about how some people actually stop breathing for a short time when adrenaline kicks in... Maybe the excitement is doing that...

Combine that with physical exertion and you have a problem...

Sugar (Candy bar etc) is always good to have with you... great pick me up!!